Shipping fairings

redkow97

I plan on making my own boxes for selling individual pieces on eBay. How much are the larger side panels going to cost to ship? More than they're worth?

eBay has perfect condition parts going for $42-$95 with free shipping on the big side panels.

I feel like my panels are worth $15-20 each, but I can't eat shipping if its going to run $20

I shipped an extra set from an R1 and they were anywhere from $15-40 per piece (there was a micron pipe in the high priced one as well). The people that can afford to do free shipping are generally the ones that ship 1000's of parts a year and can get massive discounts. My guess is you won't be able to eat it. Pro tip: make the box sizes you need, weigh the part (rough guess is fine) and calculate on usps's website.

Fedex the parts, and if you have quite a few going out, get an account with them (gets you a discount).  The "dimensional weight" is going to kill you on these things.  May only be 5 lbs, but the dimensional weight on a large box will make it equal to (for example) a 25 lb parcel. 

I agree with Imprez:  Do a mock-up or estimate on a large piece, like a front fairing which will need a large box, and use UPS or Fedex' online calculator to get an idea of price. 

You may not make enough $$$ to make it worth your time, effort, and supplies.   Big boxes are cheap at Lowes/ Home Depot, and you can cut them down to fit.  

If shipping an upper fairing, either sell it with the windscreen attached or put an old screen on it to ship it.  If not, odds are that the horns on the fairing will break, the buyer will be pissed, and you'll have to give him all of his money back PLUS try to sell a broken upper. 

I rarely sell on ebay anymore, but used to be a powerseller.  Ebay has completely removed any "rights" from the sellers, and the buyers know it.   

I have sold many body parts. I usually made my own box roughly the same size as the part. Don't worry about weight because they will dim. weigh it.  The killer is when someone from California wants it. Thats usually big bucks.

Also check USPS they have been cheaper and will ship larger parts.