Grooved Pavement on On-ramps

bloodninja420

I've started noticing this since moving north of Columbus. At first I thought this ground/grooved pavement was some kind of prep for resurfacing. But it appears to be permanent. Is this some kind of anti-icing technique?

Its a bummer that one of the few places in my back yard where I could take a curve at speed are ruined. What kind of traction can you really get on this stuff, 25% of a normal surface?

The bike will wiggle and scare the crap out of you, but it's probably still safe to ride the posted speed limit with decent body position.

The tires moving between grooves is fine. It's losing reaction that you care about. All that said, I hate that shit too.

Ride it out. It can feel like you're just a passenger if your bike gets locked into a groove, but it's not going anywhere. I'm sure they'll resurface the ramp eventually.

Nope. They are all becoming like that in Columbus if it's asphalt.  For better traction in icy conditions.

Seems me that over a certain speed will set a wobble going on them for bikes. I heard about it on a Kaw 900 and took that bike out to try it. Right at 90mph it took off left and right. Nothing that can't be controlled, but would be a nasty surprise if not expected.

Therefore... expect it on unknown ramps and curves. And don't forget crews can come out and groove up your favorite places.

And yes, certain tread patterns on tires will wobble more than others. Old school tires hated grooves on straight roads. All the tires had to change up the tread pattern to comply.

The narrow tire on my front is very able to get caught up in those grooves, but it is not too bad.  Kind of like riding over the mighty Mack bridge.  Those grooves can be a bit intimidating too, but they all are rideable .

I think the new ones that are being used are much worse than the temporary ones used for resurfacing.  The one on 35 W through Xenia was sending my bike into conniptions...and I was very loose on the bars.

The ones that are being used for resurfacing mighty have loose debris...BE CAREFUL!!!

I hit that ramp on 35 in pouring rain, and man the pucker factor went through the roof....lol.  Although I never seemed to slide any, I could swear I was!  It would be nice if they put up signs alerting people the surface was grooved like that....and if they did I missed it.