Gear suggestions

gsxkat1100

So, I have been riding on the street for a few years now, and it's time to get correct gear.

I have issues with fitment on most, if not all clothes. I will need suggestions for loose fitting gear.

I'm pretty sure any Kevlar jeans will not fit me since I have quads and calves that make normal jeans very tight and uncomfortable. I can't wear jeans to work anyway, so something over casual business attire is required.  

I don't want to be unsafe by having fit be too loose, but I don't want to feel like a tube of toothpaste being squeezed of it's last remaining glob.

Biggest problem is my waist is 36-38 depending on brand, but those 36's have to be closer to 40 to fit my quads and calves in. If I lose the weight I hopefully am working towards this year, it will get worse.

Also, for my upper body, every riding jacket I have tried on is either too short in length, or sleeve length. Any ideas there?

Any suggestions on a bit looser fitting riding gear that you think would feel right?

I am a cheap ass since my kids are zapping my money away with school fundraisers and the like, but I NEED gear. It's one of my top priorities right now.

Edited by gsxkat1100

Would a jacket like this be dumb to use in the summertime? http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-adventure-kevlar-motorcycle-jackets

I'm thinking maybe an adventure type jacket may be the way to go if it's not overly hot in the summer.

The sliders may be where I go, since I could probably wear them to work.

a 3/4 length jacket is very much the hot ticket. i find they fit better (truer to size and made for lanky people)

overpants sounds like what you're looking for. many brands carry them. dont order a size up, though. if they're classified as overpants, they're already sized to fit over your clothes.

if you had hella loot, i'd say check out an aerostitch suit. when on a budget though, a versatile textile 3/4 jacket and overpants, both with removable liners and ventilation, would be a great + affordable alternative. 

just make sure its CE armor and you're good to go. gear is fantastic. it not only protects you, but can make the ride more comfortable/enjoyable. anything made for touring or adventure riding has plenty of pockets and is nice to wear. the sport stuff is more purpose built and styled more towards race track or bike night.

iron pony does carry a very large amount of closeout section. i can not beat the closeout prices.

If you happen across something new at iron pony, i'd be glad to beat the price for you. just try it on first, ensure fitment, then give me a call or PM me here for the OR discount. 

That jacket looks ok and the price is nice but I caution you from going with textile simply because they are pretty much shot if you wreck once. I can show you a fieldsheer jacket I have that I was wearing when I went down at about 20 mph when a woman blew a stop sign in front of me. Left sleeve is pretty much blown out. I learned the hard way not to buy cheap gear.

Buy once, cry once.

If a textile saves your hide once your $$$ ahead in my book. I have two ADV jackets and they are good even in summer. Those type always have lots of vents.

I'm not knocking them, they will save your ass for sure but they often sacrifice themselves. Textile doesn't slide well and it melts pretty quickly as it does. Leather on the other hand slides incredibly well and doesn't melt. Yeah leather is a little heavier and depending on the design can be warmer but having crashed a few textile jackets and subsequently stapled them to the rafters of the garage, I'll stick with leather.

Not all textile gear is the same, many times you get what you pay for. Leather is fine if that is what you like, and yes it is hard to dispute it's protective qualities. I personally try to avoid wrecking at all cost, so I will take the comfort and flexibility of the textile apparel over leather anyday. I highly recommend the Firstgear HT overpants, they are legendary in quality and a top choice of riders who rack up allot of miles. I also recommend the Tourmaster Transition III 3/4 length jacket as well, and a II version is fantastic if you can still find one. Do not overlook gloves, make sure they fit well and offer good protection. I am a big fan of Lee Parks deerskin gloves, they are American made and work as advertised. I just bought some Firstgear Axiom II gloves, they are bad ass and have the new smart armor on them.......and waterproof with amazing dexterity. Lastly proper boots are paramount IMHO, I ride in all conditions and find that anything less then actual riding boots to be very inferior in many ways. Good luck on your quest, and head to the Iron Pony if I were you. ;)