Who's in Toledo?

Heagachongoose

Cool man. That's awesome. I guess I'll have to keep some of my gear around, I've been slowly and painfully selling it off over the years to fund motorcycle bits.

The most successful thing we ever did was open for Whitechapel in Cleveland a few years ago.

Dude, ya gotta keep SOME equipment around to at least jam on once in a while if the mood strikes. In the 22+ years I've been a metalhead, I have bought and sold several halfstack and fullstack rigs, but I've ALWAYS had a few guitars and amps in case I get the urge or jump projects.

What band are/were you in?

If you guys are still playing out, I'd dig spectating sometime. I'll try and remember to throw out an invite should we play up your way again.

I'd like to. I still play when I have the time. Other bills just take precedence. I actually just sold my tube rig, I still have my rack setup just in case. 

We went through a few name changes, I don't play with them anymore I just don't have the time, but they are most recently known as Empty Throne. They're a chillicothe based death metal band. Most of their shows have been in the columbus area but they may be in Cinci a few times this summer. 

https://emptythrone.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.facebook.com/EmptyThrone

I've played for a lot of other groups too, none had any success past playing bars in Huntington. Bluegrass, Country, Progressive Jazz, Death Meetal, lots of stuff. I have a bit of diversity in my musical background. 

• Upvote 1

I'm in the same boat with time and bills, but I'm lucky enough that my other bandmates are on that same page.  So it enables us all to still get some practice and stage time.  I'm blessed in that respect.  Not sure how much longer I can hang with metal though, my pick hand suffers from mild carpel tunnel from all the years of trem picking.

I'm finally branching out into other genres, which is something I should've done years ago.  Acoustic guitar is quite a different realm compared to the technical metal style I've played all along, but I need this.  I want to advance beyond my comfort zone, and develop more skills

Thanks for the link, will give that a listen when I get home.  I know the guys in Woe of Tyrants from the Chillicothe area, they're pretty badass.  

Edited by Hellmutt

On January 26, 2016 at 0:39 PM, Hellmutt said:

We played quite a bit in Toledo and Bowling Green back in the late 90s and early 00s.  The metal scene was kicking there pretty good back then, but haven't been back since.  Best venue we frequented in Toledo was The Main Event ( think it's changed owners as it's now Main Street Bar&Grill ), opened up for a few national acts there ( Union Underground, Hed PE, Dope, Bobaflex ) but we also played smaller clubs like BPM and Frankies across the street ( but those were dives ).  Bowling Green's Howard's Club H was the good metal slam there. 

As for good riding in that area, I've no clue.....all we did back when we'd play up there was get high and shoot at signs along the river from our van :crazy:

I used to hang out at how-weirds all the time during college.  I took the owner and his kids up flying around Christmas every year to see the lights from the air.  That pretty much got me free drinks the rest of the year. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...