Ten Photos: Phillip Island MotoGP Preseason Test

MotoAmerica

Maverick Vinales, Suzuki, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Suzuki

Maverick Vinales: “We focused on testing different configurations of the new chassis. The development of the machine for the season is still a long way off. We made solid progress both in single-lap performance and consistency, even though the variable weather didn’t allow us to really test a race simulation.”

MotoGP teams spent three days evaluating new electronics and tires earlier this month at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia and three more this past week at Phillip Island in Australia. Both tests—two of the three scheduled prior to the season-opening race on March 20 in Qatar—were plagued by rain.

World Champion Jorge Lorenzo was stunning at Sepang, the only rider to lap under the two-minute barrier, followed by the Ducatis of Danilo Petrucci and Hector Barbera. After three days of testing at Phillip Island, those same three riders were fourth-, 14th-, and fifth-quickest overall, respectively.

Marc Marquez, Repsol, Honda, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Honda

Marc Marquez: “Overall, these three days have been very good. I’m especially happy with today because we have taken a big step forward. In the afternoon, I managed to maintain a consistently fast pace, and this was the first time this preseason that I’ve started to feel good with the bike and new tires.”

Days one and two in Australia weren’t washouts. Scott Redding completed the most laps, 41, on Wednesday, while Andrea Dovizioso knocked out a leading 88 on Thursday. Dovizioso and Barbera shared top honors on Friday with 65. Marc Marquez did 64.

Crashing was a theme of sorts on Friday. Four riders—Tito Rabat, Jack Miller, Maverick Vinales, and Pol Espargaro—hit the deck in the first two hours. Espargaro’s brother, Aleix, slipped off just before rain began to fall. After a two-hour delay, bikes were back on a cold but drying track for the final three hours of testing.

Cal Crutchlow, LCR Honda, MotoGP

Photo courtesy LCR Honda

Cal Crutchlow: “I’ve felt really happy this week. The bike was good and we were pleasantly surprised with the package together with the Michelin tires and new electronics. We didn't have the new engine here, unfortunately, but it means we have something to look forward to in Qatar. The important thing is that we leave here with a lot of information, both electronically and chassis-wise.”

And the crashing continued. Rabat went down again, as did Aleix Espargaro, followed by Bradley Smith, Cal Crutchlow, Danilo Petrucci, Eugene Laverty, Jorge Lorenzo, and in the closing minutes of the three-day test, Marquez. Petrucci was the most seriously injured with a broken hand.

Marquez posted the quickest time on Friday, a 1:29.158, which was just 0.027 seconds slower than the best time of the test, laid down on Thursday by Vinales. Sixteen riders managed to lap within one second of Vinales’ best time, but on Friday only Vinales and Valentino Rossi (sixth quickest overall) posted 10 laps in the 1:29s. Marquez did nine and Barbera eight.

Jorge Lorenzo, Movistar, Yamaha, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Yamaha

Jorge Lorenzo: “I did the lap time I set this morning on a rear tire that already had done 24 laps. When we finally got a dry track and time to try that last new rear tire to set a decent lap time, [Eugene] Laverty crashed and I had to cancel that lap. I then decided to try a race simulation, but I crashed on the first lap. So I ended the test, and I’m going home.”

Avintia Racing's Barbera and Loris Baz, still running earlier-model Desmosedici GP14.2s, were consistently quick. “We have been third during a big part of the day,” said Baz, who is beginning his second season in MotoGP, “and together with Hector, first and second Ducati. At the end of the session, several riders improved their lap times, but we did a good job.”

Aspar's Eugene Laverty and Yonny Hernandez, on the same machinery, were miles behind.

Hector Barbera, Avintia Racing, Ducati, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Avintia Racing

Hector Barbera: “I was able to do many laps in the 1:29s, and I also managed to improve my lap time in the final minutes with a 1:29.3 lap; that’s almost one second faster than last year’s race. It’s also encouraging to be in the top five. We have good momentum and have to carry it on to Qatar.”

The weather was a blessing for Michelin, as the French manufacturer is still finding its footing as MotoGP’s spec-tire supplier. “We were really happy,” Technical Director Nicolas Goubert said. “We had mixed conditions, we had rain, and we had dry time—two hours at the end.”

Feedback engineers received regarding the rear slick was positive, Goubert said. “A few guys made a lot of laps with the same tires, having a fast lap time at the end even after 20 laps. They’re not overheating, the wear is very nice, and the riders were not complaining. So that’s a very good result.”

Valentino Rossi, MotoGP, Yamaha

Photo courtesy of Yamaha

Valentino Rossi: “Unfortunately, the conditions were not fantastic. In the end we only had one good day and that was yesterday, but it’s better than nothing. We compared two different bikes, and I think we will use the bike that’s more similar to last year. I feel good with the bike and tires, and my pace was not so bad.”

Michelin claims it determined the profile for the slick front tire that it will use this season. “The last profile we brought to Sepang, which worked very well, was confirmed here,” Goubert said. “All the guys tested it and said it was better, that it gave them more confidence, especially on the maximum edge. From the Qatar test, that’s the only profile we will have.”

Another box checked, yet so many crashes... The series will regroup on March 2 at Qatar for the final preseason test.

Loris Baz, Avintia Racing, MotoGP, Ducati

Photo courtesy of Avintia Racing

Loris Baz: “Yesterday we focused on my riding position, and today we started to work on bike set up. In the morning, I did two really fast laps behind Maverick [Vinales], and I was able to see many interesting things. My confidence with the bike is growing every day, and I’m close to know the limits. To finish the test so close to first and with such a good pace is something incredible.”

Dani Pedrosa, Repsol, Honda, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Honda

Dani Pedrosa: “We rode on used tires all day to see how the bike behaved after a lot of laps. In the afternoon, we improved a bit in some places, but we still have work to do. The positive thing is that since the test in Malaysia we have improved the electronics, and we hope to take an important step forward in the setup of the bike at the Qatar test.”

Pol Espargaro, Tech 3, Yamaha, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Yamaha

Pol Espargaro: “We hoped for better weather, but we have to be happy with what we achieved. We still need to collect a lot of information so we can fine-tune the electronics, but I believe we are working in a good direction. Also our tire knowledge is very limited at the moment. When the track temperature was colder, you could see everybody was struggling.”

Andrea Iannone, Ducati, MotoGP

Photo courtesy of Ducati

Andrea Iannone: “These tests have been positive because we were able to understand the differences between the new Desmosedici GP and the GP15. We were also able to find the direction to take to fine-tune all the details. Even though I am not satisfied with my final position, I am pleased with the work that we have done. The next tests in Qatar will be really important.”

MotoGP, Phillip Island, test, standings

Photo courtesy of Dorna

MotoGP Phillip Island test official combined overall standings for days one, two, and three.

View the full article