rotor Q.

Benyen Soljax

slowly im ironing out the wrinkles in my new bike. now its the front brakes. i havent checked high speed braking, but i know in low speed braking, my brakes pulse like they grab and then slip and repeat. i did a google search on it cause i suspected warped rotors, but i found it could be heat spots too. i assume the best way about this is to just replace the rotors? do i need to do anything with the pads? any recommendations on where to get parts?

my rear brake seems to work just dandy.

a dial gauge will tell you if there is fluctuations in your rotor.

a good rotor wont have any fluctuation. so if you put your rotors through a dial guage and everything is all good then you know that is not your problem...

Basically ben, your going to put your rotor in a device, such as a static wheel balancer and spin it. You then put the guage around it... kinda like a c-clamp, hell you could even use a c-clamp. With this around it you want it as close to the edges of the rotor w/o touching. then spin. If it touches in some spots or in an extreme case wobbles, then the rotor is warped.

truing_closeup.jpgdial_added.jpg

That's a homemade one on a bicycle rim from this site: http://www.chc-3.com/pub/wheel_stand.htm

Same idea with the rotor. Set the gauge on the pad surface and rotate the rotor and the dial will show you how large the range is between the spots on the rotor. The larger the range, the shittier condition your rotor is.

The only caveat is you have to make sure the rotor is square to the mastering surface or you'll get crappy (false) readings.

Ben are you coming to town anytime soon? If you are I can let you take my runout gauge back with you.

Long story short your rotors are warped and attempting to restraighten then will yield crappy results at best. Get some used ones off of ebay and call it a day. When they actually warp it is at high temps so bending it back cold doesnt work the same. Skip the headache

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZF-1000-R6-R-6-03-04-Front-brake-disc-rotor-5-B_W0QQitemZ220229972020QQcmdZViewItem

galfer knockoffs? those hong kong guys seem to be ok making fairings, shoudl i trust them with brakes?

\

NO.......

Your brakes and your tires are your life on a bike.. you decide if you want to be a cheapass with your life or not...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZF-1000-R6-R-6-03-04-Front-brake-disc-rotor-5-B_W0QQitemZ220229972020QQcmdZViewItem

galfer knockoffs? those hong kong guys seem to be ok making fairings, shoudl i trust them with brakes?

I had them on my 600rr never had anything go wrong............Rolling big stoppies also.......... never had a issue.

simple way to gauge the warp in your rotor. Tape a zip tie or something to your front fender and position it close to the rotor that concerns you. As the wheel spins, you can hear and see the oscillations in the rotor as the face moves toward and away from the edge of the zip tie.

This method will not provide a numerical measurement of how large the deformation is, but it will give you a good relative indication for where the rotor is warped.

I straightened a rotor using this method and it worked beautifully. The warped portion was roughly 3-5 mm out of true from the rest of the rotor.

Let me know if you have questions, I can send pictures of the setup.

If it is a slip grab then just take some sand paper to the rotors to make sure you remove any glazings.

Also pull the pads out and run the pads over some sand paper to rmake sure they aren't glazed.

If they are warped you will feel a vibration in the Lever as the pads are pushed back out inside the calipers.

If they are warped you will feel a vibration in the Lever as the pads are pushed back out inside the calipers.

yep. at higher speeds its a very rapid vibration and trying to stop at low speeds is goofy to say the least. i ordered some used oem rotors (2xxx miles on them) from ebay, but i havent gotten any shipping notification yet so im hoping the guy was just lazy and has already shipped them.