school me on a 5th gen VFR (98-01)

oldschoolsdime92

Fun motor, 8 bar fuel gauge,whine could get annoying if you have a quiet exhaust and sensitive hearing. bad electrics. I rode 2 that were almost unsteerable due to tire wear. plastics are big and ugly.  I've seen a few 6th gen go for under $3k under 30k mi and 5ths aren't usually cheaper outside of auctions.

18 years old start thinking about replacing all the rubber hoses.

9 hours ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

Looking at buying a 98-01 VFR. Whats the good, bad and ugly? I haven't totally ruled out the 94+ 750 models yet but I prefer the idea of the fuel injection on  the 98+. 

Hey oldschool --- I am probly the resident 5th gen VFR addict. I have ridden the 6th gens, but to me the VTEC sucks. 

Anyhoo - Its just me,but I look for the lowest mile, cleanest bike I can find. Then on the 5th gens, there were  2 versions, MK1 ('98s and'99s) and MK2 (00s and 01s).

The MK1 have slightly larger headers and no cat, and a manual fast idle lever, and a tic more ponies over the MK2s. Also the Fi in the MK1s are an open loop system were the MK2s were a closed loop system. The weak link in any is the charging system sucks, but that can be fixed for a long life if you know what to do.  Throwing it out there, the most coveted is a clean '99. 

The engines are essentially bullet proof, there are plenty of 100k mile examples. Maintenance is straight forward stuff, valve adjustments are generally check once over 32k miles and then forget it.  Other stuff - Most guys upgrade the suspension, the stock is kinda soft and steers like a truck. After an upgrade, its a respectable corner carver. Then some guys like the linked brakes and some curse them, there are ways around that. (I installed RC51 brakes.)  Really as a group, the thing is a blank canvas and the farkles will flow.  Look at my albums for ideas.  I would be happy to go check one out if you want to look at one. PM anytime. 

gallery_4396_800_1369457352_10294.jpg

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Fantastic post, MD. I had hoped you'd see this.

Thanks I.P.  - I guess after screwing with VFRs -  my own and others, for 17years, you could probly say I know a few things VFR, even in the nasty pink spots. 

• Upvote 2