So remember that Intruder I traded my 500 for...

progrmr

I've been troubleshooting the bike only firing on one cylinder for about 2 weeks now...everything in the ignition circuit looked ok leaving only the ignition module which is about a $500 electronic piece.

So today I pull it off the bike and open it up. Here's what I found:

ignition.jpg

Yep - that's mud. Meaning the bike was submerged at least up to the ignition module (just under the rear seat) in muddy water. The front of the bike looks clear, but the rear signal on the left side had dried mud in it too.

Guess I'm starting to see why the bike had a rebuild title. You could never tell based on the outside of the bike. Not to mention I rode it 130 miles from the trade with no problem. Intermittently started going out. Could've been a katrina bike.

Buyer beware even if the bike looks good w/ a rebuild title.

Any tips on cleaning electronic components this bad? I think it'll work if I clean it right.

with electronics you can wash them in water as long as they arent plugged in, but you have to dry them COMPLETELY before giving them juice again. but this is for thigns that work. from the sound of it your module is already fried in some spots, in which case, cleaning the mud off is going to do nothing but make it look better. i would suggest trying to find a new module on ebay or something.

wow that looks horrible. I am sure that boy got really hot because of the mud insulating it and something blew. Since it is old and through hole mounting soldering would be easy if you really wanted to fix it versus replacing.

You could try washing it with (distilled) water and letting it dry completely. As mentioned already though it sounds like there already might be damage. You might be better off just replacing it.

$500 buys a lot of cleaning on my part :)

I washed it with water and hit with some compressed air. Now letting it air dry and I'll give it a go.

Worst case scenario I'll buy a replacement from ebay which seems to be going for about ~$150. But if I can get away for free I'm in! haha!

$500 buys a lot of cleaning on my part :)

I washed it with water and hit with some compressed air. Now letting it air dry and I'll give it a go.

Worst case scenario I'll buy a replacement from ebay which seems to be going for about ~$150. But if I can get away for free I'm in! haha!

If you can take it apart any more, it will help it dry out more completely. You don't want any moisture trapped under the board that may cause corrosion.

I feel you though. I have replacing expensive little parts.

If you can take it apart any more, it will help it dry out more completely. You don't want any moisture trapped under the board that may cause corrosion.

i wouldnt worry about corrosion as much as shorting the board. if theres any water left shorting two leads on the board, it WILL fry if it hasnt already.

alcohol cleans to a point but sometimes stuff only comes out with water. you can use a toothbrush or something to really scrub it too.

i wouldnt worry about corrosion as much as shorting the board. if theres any water left shorting two leads on the board, it WILL fry if it hasnt already.

alcohol cleans to a point but sometimes stuff only comes out with water. you can use a toothbrush or something to really scrub it too.

make sure you use your roommates toothbrush as it is much more effective

I cleaned with warm water then alcohol, then soaked/splashed the connectors around in a cup of alcohol - got a lot out of the connectors! The rear cylinder is hot again!

w00t! Time to ride until I find something else wrong with it. But thus ends a 2 weeks search for the reason!

I cleaned with warm water then alcohol, then soaked/splashed the connectors around in a cup of alcohol - got a lot out of the connectors! The rear cylinder is hot again!

w00t! Time to ride until I find something else wrong with it. But thus ends a 2 weeks search for the reason!

Good job with the fix...enjoy the nice weather!

DAMN IT! I went out to start the bike and its back to running on one cylinder.

I ordered a used CDI from ebay - if this doesn't fix the problem I'm selling this pig cheap or parting it out. Take the money and buy something that actually runs.

Man, I'm po'd. I traded a perfectly good running EX500 for this thing and I get a bike that looks like it came from underwater. Freakin' screwed over. That guy that traded me can KMWA - I'll melt that extra key I have before I send it to him.

Yea I sent him an email - told I was looking for his extra key and the pics of the module...I should melt it down into the shape of a dollar sign and send it to him!

And WhoDey - what you talking about? It is mud - I tried to clean the shiat. Of course, clever jokes have a way of going over my head too.

Yea I sent him an email - told I was looking for his extra key and the pics of the module...I should melt it down into the shape of a dollar sign and send it to him!

And WhoDey - what you talking about? It is mud - I tried to clean the shiat. Of course, clever jokes have a way of going over my head too.

sorry to hear man. to your credit though, the thing looks pretty damn nice in the pictures of it.