Twin turbo B-King

Fonzie

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. Buddy from the IN/KY border came across it today. According to him, "owner fabbed everything himself, and is pulling the motor tomorrow to punch it out and install turbo pistons. He's shooting for over 500 hp" ..................

May408032Large.jpg

May408027Large.jpg

May408030Large.jpg

May408029Large.jpg

for that kind of hp he is going to have to put a lock up clutch in it the stock 1 will not hold it and the lock up isnt going to fit in the stock clutch cover he has on it but it would be a fun ride

i just dont know if i want two turbos that close to my ankles. for how hot turbos run i wouldnt wanna take the chance of ankle sweat!?!?! i would for sure rock it if i had them covered up some how.

I'd be willing to bet it's mainly for the "holy shit there's a twin turbo B-King" factor, because there's no advantages, only disadvantages on going twin turbo on that small of a motor. only becomes an advantage in above about 5.0 liters, then you basicly do a twin, to cut the work load into two 2.5 liter motors. makes for less lag time and better boost response. Not to mention the whole dynamics of exhaust pulses hitting the turbine blades and all kinds of other shit that gets pretty complicated.

I'd be willing to bet it's mainly for the "holy shit there's a twin turbo B-King" factor, because there's no advantages, only disadvantages on going twin turbo on that small of a motor. only becomes an advantage in above about 5.0 liters, then you basicly do a twin, to cut the work load into two 2.5 liter motors. makes for less lag time and better boost response. Not to mention the whole dynamics of exhaust pulses hitting the turbine blades and all kinds of other shit that gets pretty complicated.

Agree, they are not even using twin turbos on the 500+ hp ZX14's... Thats the stupidest thing I have seen other than the BOSS HOSS!!!

if they are small enough turbos there shouldnt be any problem with the twin turbo setup. I am pretty sure most twin turbo setups are twin because the whole two manifold thing and that they want the turbo as close to the head to minimize lag.

Twins on an inline, 1.3L engine is ridiculous. You went from 4 firing events per turbo every 720 degrees, to just two, effectively killing manifold pressure. It would take longer to build boost since exhaust isn't a steady pressure, it's a pulse generated by rising pistons. once that valve closes, pressure drops untill then next valve opens, piston starts to rise. If you take that from 4 pulses per 2 revoloutions, to 2, your only getting a single pressure wave with every rotation of the engine.

Not to mention using a turbo small enough, with a small enough turbine/housing to make it work, would leave very little drive to spin an even half way decent compressor wheel. Especially on a motor that spins to 11k, your going to expect such a small turbo to work over such a broad RPM range it just isn't going to be much fun to drive. Lag would be a bitch, and it would come in very fast, and abrupt, and max out well before redline.

Most twin setups are that way because of a "V" motor, and yes, it keeps the manifold short and hot, and minimizes lag. Also on a motor over 5.0 liters, it breaks it up so you can have a more streetable engine. boost would come in smoother and at a lower RPM, with less exhaust restriction using a pair of med sized turbos, VS 1 large frame turbo.

If anyone is seriously interested, theirs a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell that is an excellent resource for Turbo information, both setup and theory

If anyone is seriously interested, theirs a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell that is an excellent resource for Turbo information, both setup and theory

+1. I've read a few excerpts from that book when I was researching Turbos for my GN and my dad's Impala SS. It comes highly recommended from other people - and the excerpts I've read were pretty informative.

ive seen one of those b-kings at the dealer and i think they are rather ugly. the tail is cool with the radical angle it shoots out at, but the tank is just obnoxious.

on another note, this bike will appeal greatly to the batman fans among us, as it appears to have two super awesome cannons on the front.

• 3 weeks later...