How long for body to decompose?

redkow97

I didn't murder anyone. I was leveling ground behind my shed and found a headstone for the previous owner's dog.  I would like to build a larger shed in the next few years, which will almost certainly require disturbing the remains.

There's a date on the headstone.  I think it's 2010 or 2012.  My suspicion is that I'll hit a few bones, but everything else should be worm food by now.  Sound about right?

If there's a box though, that could get mess.  Or at least stinky.  What then?

I'll try to remember to update this thread when I finally start digging.

right now i have a wood pile stacked on top of the headstone, but I'm going to try to save money for the shed project this winter, frame out the walls and roof joists in the garage in the spring, and then dig and pour the footer supports when I'm relatively confident the ground will remain thawed.

It's possible that I could keep the floor joists above the level of the grave, and just fill in between them with gravel, so i'm less likely to get animals living under the shed...  Local ordinances say the shed can't be taller than 11'.  It doesn't say I can't set it on a 1' tall deck.