55 gal propane drum smoker build

oldschoolsdime92

I had a hard time finding a clean drum. Ended up finding a drum at a place called Dayton industrial drum. It had shot blast material in it, so it just had some dust inside. Rinsed it out and started to burn it out.

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/lowxpectationz20/media/EDE36F11-17FE-4B62-B873-E2B99068332A_zpsmwc6hqib.jpg.html]EDE36F11-17FE-4B62-B873-E2B99068332A_zps[/URL]

My plan is to have double doors. One for meat, one to load chips/water.  Going to put legs on it, and wheels. The cooking grates will be loaded through the top. 

I originally planned to use a burner from a turkey fryer, but after a quick experiment yesterday I'm not so sure. 

I set the barrel on my turkey fryer and threw some wood in. In just a few minutes the wood pretty much a hobo furnace.14E3D35D-C248-4A80-8670-67BC7DB8271B_zps[/URL]

The burner is 58k BTU. I may need to find a smaller burner. I normally only smoke at 220-250 degrees.  Anyone have any suggestions on the burner? 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92