Squids @ 42

schmuckingham

So i went to Dragway42 tonight before i headed to PA to help tech and drive a buddies Lightning to get it dialed in after his build and things were going ok. We needed more ice so we walked to the concession stand to buy more and upon walking across the return lane we almost get bowled over by a band of bikers ranging from sport bikes to cruisers.

We just giggle at the "squad" and continued to walk to the concession stand and got distracted by a car running. We turn back around to the concession stand and there is the "squad" at the stand looking for a pen to fill out their info cards. I begin to check out their gear and it wasnt bad stuff.....until i looked at their shoes. No one, but TWO of them were wearing low cut skater type shoes and baggy pants and the other one is wearing Lugz boots.

I was so floored i almsot fell over, the guys behind us notice as well and start making fun of them for being "ricer bikers" and i turned around and said not all of us are like this. Its shameful this is how we are represented as bike enthusiasts by some kids on and R6 and CBR running 12's wearing Airwalks.

sorry for the rant.

:rant:

I need to get to the Strip and see what I can run the 1k. I was mediocre on the 600 with 11.3-11.5 with 1.9 best 60 ft.

I know my launches in Nashville races were 1.9 at the highest..

Edgewater here in Cincy first time I went the tech sheet said bike had to have a MANUAL Kill device.

So when I went through they said where was my kill device? I reached over and clicked the kill switch. They said that isn't good enough I said why, they showed me the same sheet and pointed out the Manual Kill device. I pointed out very loudly that I am Manually killing the bike. He then began to argue, so I said fine if you all are too stupid to fill out your tech sheets so people know what is needed i'll go somewhere else.

So your ranting because of the shoes they were wearing? :supergay:

QFT!

who cares?? its just shoes.. as long as they have something on their feet to shift. its their choice to protect their feet or not.

I always thought they made you wear full leathers and boots?:confused:

Edgewater if you break 120 Trap speed you are required full leathers. Under that and you are good with leather jacket, jeans, and boots above ankle.

But since I broke 120 on my first run on my 600 good thing I didn't try it.

Edgewater seems a little strict on the rules - but those ARE the rules. Don't quote me because I don't have the NHRA or IHRA rulebook in front of me, but for bikes with traps in excess of 120mph (i.e. quicker than 11.99) not only require full leathers, but a tethered kill-switch as well (another thing most guys don't run).

Maybe Norwalk is just lax?? Especially to draw a crowd, a stock bike is capable of running those times in the 1/4 mile, so I think they're just letting people run streetbikes w/o having to modify them w/ tethered kill switches or forcing full leathers because casual drag racers don't own them.

I've posted it before, but I have trap speeds on 145-150mph and aren't required full leathers. There are guys out on turbo and nitrous bikes running traps of 170-180mph without full leathers (at least 2 that I've seen, though most do). In fact, they just started pushing gloves as being mandatory. They don't check the gloves (a lot of guys wear Mechanix gloves, or baseball batting gloves) - they just check that you're wearing gloves.

Bottom line, safety is your OWN responsibility and you OWN the risk. So, I don't really care if you're running 160mph in sandals and shorts if you think that's kosher - just so long as I don't have to scrape your blood and guts off the track. I'm sure the EMTs would appreciate you wear safety gear.