Noooob all around

SuperHawk

what up guys, noob to the board, noob to the sport. just picked up a 99 Honda VTR 1000 this week and got all my gear earlier today. Gonna start riding this weekend, no experience so it might be a minute until I come out to a meet, but just wanted to say hey.

Matt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you don't want to look stupid impeding traffic on your bike, i would say I'm the man to ride with :D

Any day that's somewhat sunny, I'm out relearning how to ride. Message me on here or email me or something and we'll go chase each other around a cloverleaf.

Awesome, I know a few people that ride, but they are all gangsters and take turns laying down, lol, way to good for me. I'm definitely gonna take it slow, still scared but I haven't been on it yet. Where you located at? I'm trying to find some side streets to just practice and not worry about traffic on. Hopefully its nice this weekend, I plan to ride 8 hrs a day, lol.

Nope, I'll be sure to tape a big sign on my back tho... :dunno:

I don't plan to hit congested areas or the hwy ANYTIME soon, mainly way off the road streets in a quiet subdivision. Or my dad's company has 15 acres, mostly paved in downtown, so I might have a buddy ride my bike there so I can practice this weekend. I do plan on taking the course but its booked as of now.

wait, maybe i'm thinking about a different course and don't know about the MFS or whatever, because the people at the BMV said it was $300.

hmm... $25 sounds a lot better to me! Where'd you take this?

thanks

All us newbs should get together, holla!

I ordered frame sliders online today, should be here later this week or so, anyone want to help me install? They say you need to remove the fairings and modify them slightly...this is all new to me.

wait, maybe i'm thinking about a different course and don't know about the MFS or whatever, because the people at the BMV said it was $300.

It depends on where you take the class. Around here (Dayton) Honda offers the class for $25 in Troy (just north of Dayton), but there is a private company in Dayton that also has the same class, but charges $150-200 (I forget the exact price, because I heard about it after I had already gone through the class with honda).

Troy might be a bit of a drive for you, but I am sure there are other places near Columbus that offer the class for $25 instead of $150-$300 :dunno:

State offered/sponsored class =$25.. the private offerings run like $200-$300 around here I believe. I literally squeezed into the class on Wed. Aside from getting into the class a few hours before it booked up, there were (I think) 4 people who walked in.

I took it at the OSU campus, carried on to the ODPS parking lot for the Range.. The class is ran 3 days, one in the class room, and two on the "range". 6-10 the first day.. 2-8 the other days.

Ok, I'm going to try and find some more info about it today, because apparently the schedule the post online is for another class, because it only shows a 1 day class, and its booked until Sept. So hopefully they have some open spots here shortly!

thanks guys, hope to be out on the road next month.

Matt

I would suggest getting out in the driveway, getting on the bike, (don't start it) and push it around in circles for a few minutes. Left circle then right. Kind of a figure 8. Keep doing that till you can keep it really tight and not drop the bike.

Then start it and ride it SLOWLY in a parking lot far far away from anything else. Straight lines only, ~5 mph. Just see if you're even going to be able to ride.

Then, take the MSF course. Once you finish this, you might just be able to ride on the surface streets.

Ok, I must've been super tired last night when I was checking that site because now I see what I missed. I looked for the first available class and it said one day only, but I didn't notice it said BRC-2, which is like the advanced class, I need BRC, so I figured it out. I'm going to try and be a walk-in on may 8th, so nobody else go! lol. Anyone have luck with walk-ins? I dont want to wait until September to take it. :cry:

Thanks guys for the advice. I had a moped when I was 13, I was fine on that and it went 40 mph. Similar at all? I hope, lol. I'm not scared of myself or abilities really, just all the idiots around me. :thefinger:

One thing that did worry me is almost everyone I talked to said sport bikes don't have good low speed manuerverability (sp?) or turning radius. So I have yet to experience that but I'll see how bad my bike is.

I want to get on it and try it now but I'm trying to hold off until I get my frame sliders in, just because I know I'd be pissed if I had them and wrecked without them.

Who's been down here?

Well I'm glad you're still here to post, any details or tips on things to avoid? My dad told me NOT to stick out my legs if I get wobbly or something while going a good speed, but he doesnt ride either, he just took the course a couple years ago. Other than that no clue.

Hopefully I have the same luck as you with the walkin, do they take cash right then or what? What should I take? My helmet/gloves/jacket? Do I need like a paper and pen? Anything else?

Well I'm glad you're still here to post, any details or tips on things to avoid? My dad told me NOT to stick out my legs if I get wobbly or something while going a good speed, but he doesnt ride either, he just took the course a couple years ago. Other than that no clue.

Hopefully I have the same luck as you with the walkin, do they take cash right then or what? What should I take? My helmet/gloves/jacket? Do I need like a paper and pen? Anything else?

For day one take check for the money and pen and paper if it's a week day night. No riding that day all class room style. Then on the 2nd and 3rd day you should bring, gloves, jacket (not leather you will be hot), helmet (they have some but bring your own) and over the ankle boots. Gloves and boots are a must!!

Tips start in a parking lot!! Don't be afraid of laying it down. It happens. They said with in the first year every new riders lays a bike down. Low speeds are the hardest to master and that will be where you drop it at. It happened to me. After the taking the class, remember you are still new. DO NOT ride over your head!!!

Hope this helps!!

You don't actually need a jacket for it if you don't want. They just want you to wear a long sleeve shirt, jeans, over the ankle footwear, and riding gloves(any pair unti you buy some will be fine). They provide the little bikes that are fun to flog around. The instructors would laugh at me alot because I was ragging out that rebel 250. Wide open throttle when I was heading across the parking lot all the time to get back to the beginning of the course they set up. Oh and they're hard to wheelie...lol. The class was fun. There was this woman behind me who stopped and didn't put her feet down! haha, yeah, she bit it. :lol: