Coating for headers

Buck531

I got a set of headers. They have some surface rust on them. I know I can ceramic coat them or whatever.. but I dont want to spend $150 to have it done. I also need it done by next Thursday. Anyone have any ideas? I was just going to sand blast them and paint them a high-temp paint. I know it'll probably flake off eventually. I could use header wrap, but I heard that holds moisture and then will hose up the headers later.

ideas?

Originally posted by 12499470:

either go to the hardware store and buy the stuff thats made to paint stoves, get grill paint, or check over at jegs they sell some of the eastwood high temp coatings. also read the driections some of the paint has to be oven cured before you use it

What do you mean by oven cured? it has to be baked first? or what..

Originally posted by Function GT Form:

I bought the do-it-yourself ceramic coating from Jegs a few years back. You sandblast, apply coating, and bake in a home oven for an hour or so... worked very well.

Interesting.. did it kill the oven? I heard you shouldn't bake shit like that in your home oven if you plan on cooking with it later.

Guest FBody Addict

i should be getting the set of headers i ordered two months ago (they sent me the wrong ones so i sent them back and have been going round and round with scoggin dickey since then, they finally decided to send me the right ones)

i'll try a few different products from the hardware store (one on each tube) and figure out what the cheapest/best way to go is

so far so good with vht. you should only put one coat on, just enough to lay the color. any more than that and it will blister when you cure it with heat. you dont need to use the oven, you can cure it on the vehicle. run the engine for 10 minutes, cool for 20, run for 20, let cool, then run 30 under normal load. this is what the can sasys. about 6 bucks a can @ jegs