hesitation or shudder in tranny?

Guest jamesmace31

Guest jamesmace31
I have a 98 Ford contour, 2.5 Duratech, 82,000 miles. When my over drive is on my car seems like it shudders when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. It does not seem to loose power. At first it did not do it all the time, just when it warmed up, now it does it all the time. I took it to AAMCO, and a tech told me it was not my tranny, but all he did was drive it around the block. There has been no change in gass miledge either. I had both Precats replaced, MAF, IAC, all hoses and my upper and lower intake gaskets replaced. It has new plugs and wires and coil pack. What else could it be?........trying to give as much info as possible. I am new here, but i need some serious help. I do not have the money for a new tranny, and I am upside down in the car..............HELP!

• 2 weeks later...
Could be your torque converter lock-up solenoid. These tend to go bad causing the tranny to "shudder" when they get hot. After driving with it like this for awhile, it will eventually do it all the time. Go to AutoZone or Napa and look or ask for some tranny shudder additive. Just get one tube/bottle and see if it at least helps with this problem.

Guest jamesmace31
Only does it when it is in drive. It does it all the time. How much does the tranny shudder additive cost and will it last very long? Can it fix my problem?

First I would try some additive that the trans part store sells. My shop does not deal with rebuilding trans so I took a customer car to two trans shops for the same prob. nd they wanted to rebuild it. I talk to a my guy at the trans store and he sold me a additive that fixed the prob with in 10 mile.

Guest jamesmace31

Recommended ATX+3.....bought it, did tranny flush and fill as recommended, used ATX+3...................and no change. What now?!?!?!?!?!?! There has been no change. Where close to Hilliard can I take this thing to get it looked at?

[ 07. June 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: GreenMace ]

Guest jamesmace31
I did not do the whole 17qt flush, just the 5qt, i know that it did not do very much, however, it was all I had the ability to do myself....Shop wanted major money to do whole flush and fill. I also herd that this can be bad for an old tranny.....any thought anyone?