Where to put BOV?

Brandon

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by sleepers, inc.:

p.s. Brandon, look for a z32 MAF, any 90-96 300zxtt maf will do.

smile.gif

All Z32 MAFS are the same, no need for TT one. Just make sure the sensor has 'N62' on it and not 'N60'; those suck.

Scott Avoy (Enthalpy) on Freshalloy does incredible rom tunes for SRs. He's untouchable, but don't bother with one until you upgrade the turbo, fuel, MAF, exhaust, etc. The stock turbo is too small to get a ton of power out of.

I have my BOV on the hot pipe and the response is pretty good. It is recirculated back into the intake pipe, thanks to Matt.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kbounds/intake.jpg

If the valve is before the MAF, it can be vented to atmosphere.

If the valve is after the the MAF, it needs to be recirculated into the intake stream after the MAF

You may be able to ditch the sfac2. The BOV should have no effect on fueling if done correctly.

While this is true, the only way to have the bov before the MAF is with a blow-through setup. Piping can be a little tricky with those.

The SAFC2 has an anti-stall setting making it help with open air bov's, but it isn't perfect.

Originally posted by doggunracing:

All Z32 MAFS are the same, no need for TT one. Just make sure the sensor has 'N62' on it and not 'N60'; those suck.

Scott Avoy (Enthalpy) on Freshalloy does incredible rom tunes for SRs. He's untouchable, but don't bother with one until you upgrade the turbo, fuel, MAF, exhaust, etc. The stock turbo is too small to get a ton of power out of.

I have my BOV on the hot pipe and the response is pretty good. It is recirculated back into the intake pipe, thanks to Matt.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kbounds/intake.jpg

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sleepers, inc.:

If the valve is before the MAF, it can be vented to atmosphere.

If the valve is after the the MAF, it needs to be recirculated into the intake stream after the MAF

You may be able to ditch the sfac2. The BOV should have no effect on fueling if done correctly.

While this is true, the only way to have the bov before the MAF is with a blow-through setup. Piping can be a little tricky with those.

The SAFC2 has an anti-stall setting making it help with open air bov's, but it isn't perfect. </font>

Z32 Maf installed before tb, bov installed before maf, vrooooooooooooom pschhhhhhhh. problem solved. smile.gif

Pushing air through a maf will always be better no matter what situation. The maf will basically become a physically bigger maf. This is due to the pressure drop of NA compared to the greater pressure drop when air is forced through it.

Fair enough. Keith, where are the best places to look for the z32 maf? And also Nate if you get out to matts before I do, take a look and give Matt an idea where you think it would work the best. And I do not plan to recirulate, no need to give HKS any more of my money.

But it is becoming clearer and clearer that this BOV needs to be on the hotside, which is fine.

Guest mudbutt

Pushing air through a maf will always be better no matter what situation. The maf will basically become a physically bigger maf. This is due to the pressure drop of NA compared to the greater pressure drop when air is forced through it.

Couldn't be more wrong my friend. A blow through configuration actually makes the maf effectivly smaller. When under boost it reads approx 12% more air than is actually flowing through(depending on temp) Not to mention that the air is more turbulant, which mafs do not like. Sure it can be done but there are a reason no factory turbo car in the history of turbo cars has had a post turbo maf. A blow through will work, as mustangs and f bodies have proven for years. Owners still complaign of drivability problems on occation. When I decided on fuel on my stang I figured out how to do draw through at all costs. Our kit was originally designed to work with blow through meaters ad doesnt leave much room in the fender for a maf and filter.

As for the sr and bov, people have been running atmosphere bov for years post maf with minimal issues. If you are going to worry about the small puff of black smoke, then that can be one, but stalling is rare and more experienced with shitty valves like the turbo XS that require $175 in quarters along with the washers and spring to stay closed under vacuume. As far as chiptuning goes, if you are willing to spend the money on a good mailorder, enthalpy is the shit. If you are wanting a basic chip for a setup like z32/550s/ and a larger turbo, I can write something that will work fine and better and cheaper than an afc.Im also willing to do a real dyno tune, though I still couldnt touch enthalpys knowledge of the SR and tuning. There is also no "guessing" or "Disassembling" of the stock code. There are stock maps easily available. You also can use consult to datalog and know exactly what you need to change amd what your changes are effecting.

Guest doggunracing

Z32 Maf installed before tb, bov installed before maf, vrooooooooooooom pschhhhhhhh. problem solved. smile.gif

While theoretically sound, it doesn't always work out that well. For example, my Cobra MAF is all but non-functional in a blow-through setup. An aftermarket Granatelli works well, though. The Z32 MAF seems to work fine, but it is very sensitive to turbulence. It needs straight pipe before and after to ensure smooth flow. A re-tune is almost always needed if switching from a draw-through to a blow-through setup.

Here are some pics

Z32 MAFs can be found on Freshalloy, Zilvia, car-part.com, twinturbo.net, eBay, etc. Just make SURE that it's an N62 and that you get the plug with it.

I am pretty sure I am sticking with the pull through style MAF. I am going to upgrade to the z32 MAF once I get a new turbo. As for now i am just placing the BOV on the hot side.

As for tuning, enthalpy?...Do they have a website that I can ponder at? And at the current moment i have the apex'i safc 2 to use for some fine tuning? Should I go a different route of tuning, or keep that for fine tuning, and the ecu re-prog. once i upgrade turbo/injectors/maf?

Your safc-2 will handle up to 550cc injectors I believe on the SR's (sorry I don't know what cc is the upgrade on SR's, i think 550's sound right though). So if you go past that level on the injectors fuel/hp wise, then you'll have to upgrade your engine management.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Your safc-2 will handle up to 550cc injectors I believe on the SR's (sorry I don't know what cc is the upgrade on SR's, i think 550's sound right though). So if you go past that level on the injectors fuel/hp wise, then you'll have to upgrade your engine management.

Ok this has been most benefical. Enthalpy is on fresh alloy eh....I will have check him out over there.