my stang keeps popping

armin922

my stang pops for some reason. It warms up and the exhaust pops, doesnt backfire but pops. I also checked the oil dipstick and it smelled like gas, so im thinking somehow there is gas in the oil. Would that cause it to pop? I have an 88 stang 5.0L with about 180k. How would gas get into the oil? Also, if the timing isnt right would it cause it to pop as well?

the car has about 180k and i dont think the fuel rail and the injectors have been changed or cleaned. I also think maybe an O-ring for the injectors is leaking. After about 10 mins i noticed some gas ( a little) under the upper intake so i suspect one of the injectors/fuel rail having a leak and maybe thats why the oil has gas in it? The popping sounds like a baloon but not as loud and not as high pitched. We did try to re time it with a light and got thrown off because we decided to check the oil and it smelled like gas. So we werent sure whats wrong with it. Im gonna maybe change the oil and see what happens. Maybe the whole distributor was maybe replaced and maybe not correctly put in? IDK.....Bottom line, the stang is sick and i want to get it running before the summer..... THANKS GUYS

Do yourself a favor and check ALL the basics before letting use E-guess. Check the fuel pressure, timeing, compression, and inspect and fix ALL leaks fix the leaks now. They need done any way and it will make working on it better. If it is just a poping when you rev it and let off it is most likely an exhaust leak sucking air.

symptoms- oil smells like fuel exhuast is popping....

you have a bad injector, fpr, or a bad mass air meter. you not only are leaking fuel past the rings into the oil but some of the excess fuel is running into the exhuast and igniting...

if you can put it on a scanner and look at your maf values if they are in range its a fuel system problem. you can chaeck the reg with a pressure tester and you can check for open or shorted injectors with a multi-meter.

hope this helps

yeah it has an off road h pipe, but it didnt do it before we let it sit for the winter. It didnt pop until now. But yeah, i will be getting around to checking the car.......THANKS GUYS for all the help. Hey 462, when u said its gettin into the exhaust and igniting, would that cause it to pop at all? I will check all the vaccum lines and drain and fill her back up with oil. THen ill give u updats. THANKS ALOT.....I appreciate this.