Ford problems

Tractor

My brother has a `98 Ford Contour with a 2.0L DOHC 4cyl engine that is having problems. My dad has been working on it for him and he says that he found that all but 3 of the injectors are firing constantly when the key is in the ON position. I haven't looked at the car myself so I can't give alot of specifics.

My dad hasn't worked on much of the newer cars. I told him getting trouble codes would be a good start, but thats not a possibility at this time.

Any ideas? He was kinda thinking the computer is bad. Not sure. would the cam sensor do this? I don't have alot of experience with the ODB-II cars either.

Evan

Guest rperry74
I would think if it were the cam sensor, they all would be doing the same thing. The signal is not selective so the computer would have to be misinterpeting a signal somewhere, or creating a ghost trigger that fires those injectors. I say computer. But I am usually wrong. ;)

Originally posted by Tractor:

wow no one else?

Evan

What are all the symptoms ? Running really rough ? Check engine light on ? Won't run at all ? Need more info to even try and help!

Sorry I can't give much more info than I've already got. I've not seen the car its over 2 hours away at my parents house. All I know is what my dad has found which is that the injectors for constantly and fill the cylinders.

Is it possible that what he thinks is alot of fuel is actually just the cold start circuit and he's not waiting long enough for the fuel to shut off? If so that could be leading him down the wrong diag path.

If in fact the injectors are constantly firing what would cause that? I'd suspect either the computer or a shorted connection.

Oh yeah and it will not start probably because the cylinders are filling with gas.

Evan

Sorry I can't give much more info than I've already got. I've not seen the car its over 2 hours away at my parents house. All I know is what my dad has found which is that the injectors for constantly and fill the cylinders.

Is it possible that what he thinks is alot of fuel is actually just the cold start circuit and he's not waiting long enough for the fuel to shut off? If so that could be leading him down the wrong diag path.

If in fact the injectors are constantly firing what would cause that? I'd suspect either the computer or a shorted connection.

Oh yeah and it will not start probably because the cylinders are filling with gas.

Evan

See if it is firing , if not it is possible the keys lost their programming ? I know certain GM's lose their programming . Possibly it is a Coil Pack . Not sure but hopfully that will help . if you find out more let me know...

keys lost there programming? You mean like the key that goes in the ignition? sorry for sounding ignorant, but I am pretty ignorant about the new types of electronics in these cars and and especially ignorant about ford cars. If the keys are special then that could be the problem because my brother is pretty dumb and the car probably doesn't even need keys to start. He's probably already lost them and has a ball of wire hanging from the colum.

Evan

keys lost there programming? You mean like the key that goes in the ignition? sorry for sounding ignorant, but I am pretty ignorant about the new types of electronics in these cars and and especially ignorant about ford cars. If the keys are special then that could be the problem because my brother is pretty dumb and the car probably doesn't even need keys to start. He's probably already lost them and has a ball of wire hanging from the colum.

Evan

Yes , most if not all newer car keys all have chips in them . if a key lost its programming it will just crank over, and their should be a security or theft light that will flash also . Just a theft deterrant (immobiliser). But if the car isn't firing that would be my first thought.

I would assume my Dad checked that it is firing. that would be one of the first things an old mechanic would do, but who knows.

They are comming to Columbus to visit me for a few days so maybe I'll get more information from him then. Thanks for the help so far.

Evan

I talked to my dad on the phone and he says he hasn't messed with the ignition for awhile because the injectors run so much that they fill the entire cylinders with fuel and also fill the oil pan up completely. Very dangerous hehe

Evan