injectors

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX
ok.. so i j/ bought my new eclipse from ricart bout a week 1/2 ago.. ( bout from ricart.. 1st problem) anywayz... im pretty sure its the injectors that are messed up but not forsure... so like im drivin and it was sputterin like really bad.. and backfirin n stuff... so bein the drama queen i am.. i pull over and call every friend i kno that knows 1 lil thing bout cars... they all tell me different things... so i went to auto zone and had a dynostic test ran and cylinders 1 and 2 are misfirin... so we changed the spark plugs and put fuel injector cleaner in.. ran great for 2 day!! then it started agian... and now its to the point where it was backfirin the whole way home.. i hate it to the ground in 2nd prolly at 4500 RPMS and was goin 25 mph... anyone think its anything else cept the injecotrs?

A random misfire code is usually thrown when the ECU detects an abnormal change in engine speed. You need to at least replace the injectors on the cylinders that misfired the first time, but I've often found that the other injectors fail shortly after.

A temporary fix is tap the injectors with a screwdriver.

I'm not sure what injector cleaner you used, but I've only had luck with Chevron's Techron cleaner. I doubt it will solve the problem but it's worth a shot.

If you have another car to drive you can try having them repaired by Hite Parts Exchange on McKinnely Ave.

Of the thousands of cars I've worked on I can't recall a single time when the problem wasn't the injectors.

First off, the car's running lean. I don't think it's something simple like the injectors. It just started happening out of nowhere. But, to shut her up, I changed her plugs for her and put in the fuel injector cleaner (guy at autozone told her to do this). Old plugs were crusty white, which if I remember, means it's runing lean. Put in the injector cleaner and she claims it's running better. I saw absolutly no difference and think it's all in her head. My guess was that it's something in the ECU. My 2001 cavalier did almost the same exact thing to me(in myrtle beach BTW) except mine didn't move at all. It happened too suddenly I think to be faulty injectors. I also think the autozone scan tool was faulty, as it picked up 4 codes, and could only read 3 of them.

Originally posted by AustinL911:

First off, the car's running lean. I don't think it's something simple like the injectors. It just started happening out of nowhere. But, to shut her up, I changed her plugs for her and put in the fuel injector cleaner (guy at autozone told her to do this). Old plugs were crusty white, which if I remember, means it's runing lean. Put in the injector cleaner and she claims it's running better. I saw absolutly no difference and think it's all in her head. My guess was that it's something in the ECU. My 2001 cavalier did almost the same exact thing to me(in myrtle beach BTW) except mine didn't move at all. It happened too suddenly I think to be faulty injectors. I also think the autozone scan tool was faulty, as it picked up 4 codes, and could only read 3 of them.

Random misfire codes are not a result of running lean. It is 99.999 percent of the time caused by an injector that is either stuck closed or stuck open. This doesn't happen gradually, it happens in a split second and it can be an intermittent problem.

Actually now that I think about it, she needs to take the car back to Ricart and have them look at it since she just bought it. I imagine it would at least have a 30day warranty.

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX
ok 1st off.. it is non- turbo... i think austin is right tho... b/c i wasnt having any problems at all... and all the sudden it happened.. we took the car back to ricart last night.. so im thinkin it'll be back within 2/3 weeks or so... i dont want know it is.. but its def. not something thats going to be easy to fix... and yeah i agree i think the autozone dyganostic thing is wrong.. b/c the 1st time it detcted 3 things wrong... and only read 2 and the 2nd one they ran dedtected 6 things wrong and only read 2 so obviously somethings NOT right..

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX
it was the coil packs... only thing that confussed me bout that is that the cylinders that were misfiring were on 2 differen packs.. but oh well.. shes runnin GREAT!!! thanks guyz!!