Oil between IC and TB

Guest Scoobysnack

Guest Scoobysnack

Alright well I have a problem that I believe is the turbo seals, but I want some other opinions.

My car has been blowing out alot of white smoke lately from the exhaust and I've found a few spots of oil around the engine bay(all near the turbo) We changed my oil and coolant today and both were clean. No milky oil so I'm pretty sure it's not a headgaskget. We pulled the intercooler off and I had a puddle (not just residue a wet puddle) of oil sitting slighty past the turbo and a trail into the Y piping. We took the hose connecting the intercooler to the throttle body off and found more puddles of oil. I am burning off oil. What do you think could be the problem?

02 WRX, 35k miles.

The PCV system should only suck it up if there is a lot of blow by, which will become apparent when you do your compression check. Also gearhead, I doubt if leaking valve seals would deposit oil between the IC and TB. Just an uneducated guess though.

Guest Removed
Originally posted by Mensan:

Also gearhead, I doubt if leaking valve seals would deposit oil between the IC and TB. Just an uneducated guess though. [/QB]

point....is it smoking real bad ....it could be?

Guest Scoobysnack

It generally only smokes at idle or on start up. Once I've driven it some the smoke goes away. I am catless so I know it's not getting cleaned up.

I thought if the problem was in the valves it would smoke really bad when I was driving it as well?

Guest Scoobysnack
Originally posted by SHIEF:

I'm betting on turbo seals.

+1 It makes me happy other people think so too.

I'm at the end of the semester and I have some many papers and crap to do this week I don't have time to get out and check everything. I'll let ya know the results next week or this weekend.

Originally posted by Mensan:

The PCV system should only suck it up if there is a lot of blow by, which will become apparent when you do your compression check. Also gearhead, I doubt if leaking valve seals would deposit oil between the IC and TB. Just an uneducated guess though.

Eli,

I don't mean to argue or beat my chest, but its pretty common for turbo motors to run a tube T'ed at the intake manifold and pre turbo. 2jZ and Srt4 owners can attest to having these problems with no abnormal blow by.

Guest Scoobysnack
Originally posted by buckeye:

Weren't you running added boost from stock as well ? I would say turbo seals as well

Yup.

17psi for long time. I think stock is somewhere around 14.5. It's been so long I can't remember.

Originally posted by GTWEEE:

Eli,

I don't mean to argue or beat my chest, but its pretty common for turbo motors to run a tube T'ed at the intake manifold and pre turbo. 2jZ and Srt4 owners can attest to having these problems with no abnormal blow by.

Never owned a turbo motor, so I admittedly wouldn't know a lot about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1sweet3.4
turbo seals. Turbo is cold, the housing hasn't expanded to fill the gaps in the turbo seals. this explains why it does it at start up. it leaks oil into intake, which goes through motor and then produces the white smoke. this is also happening on my laser rs turbo.