Steering problem

Buck531

Hopefully someone can give me some insight to this.

I'd be driving along. Just normal driving.. and I can feel play in the steering wheel going left and right. Not much, but enough to where you can shimmy the wheel back and forth and it's incredibly loose. It does it maybe an inch or so left and/or right.

Rack maybe? I sure as hell hope not.

Fluid is fine. However, I do have a small leak somewhere in the PS system. I have to fill it up every few months or so. That shoulnd't cause the loose steering though.

Anyone?

Guest jpurdy2003
Check any bushings in sight, and as you move the wheel with the car jacked up, eyeball it and see if the slop in the steering is related to a bad bushing. I'd hate to see you put a tie-rod or rack on your car over a $2.00 bushing. I always check the least expensive items first.

Interesting. I put the stock sway bar bushings on (all 4 of them) on Sunday. However, it's been doing it for a while now.

Would no fluid in the PS pump cause a rack to be toasted?

Second.. how much to replace the rack? Should I just bend over now? Can I do this myself? graemlins/doh.gifgraemlins/doh.gif

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR,ASS:

bad tie rods or the rack is shot.

jack up the car and wiggle the wheel side to side like it would move when turning while you do this watch the tie rod ends for slop if you don't see any the rack is shot

I had the alignment checked less than a month ago. About 8 months ago the right outter tie rod was shot, and replaced. When they did the alignment a few weeks ago there was no play.