A technical water pump question

Tractor

I finally got tired of hearing a metallic knocking noise comming from my trail rigs engine today and did some troubleshooting. Its the water pump going out. I have a question about replacing it with something diferent.

If anyone on here has seen my rig I have a toyota truck with a chevy 350 that is being cooled by a hugh ass radiator in the bed of the truck. the stock `78 chevy water pump has worked for a few years and has either died because of the extra water that its trying to move or from just being a `78 water pump. The truck holds around 6 gallons of water in my setup and the water travels about 20 feet round trip from the radiator to the engine + all the regular going through the radiator and engine internal ducts. The top tank on the radiator is about 3 to 4 feet above the top of the engine also.

Question is is there a better pump to use? I looked at the electric ones in the jegs and summit catalogs, but its just a bunch of sales BS and I can't find real numbers on both types of pumps. I'm guessing since my current setup works I shouldn't go messing with it, but I'm always looking for something better. Any ideas would be cool.

Evan

Guest nevarmore

We can narrow the field a bit:

1. Whats your budget?

2. You installed a bigger radiator, is that alone keeping you cool enough?

3. Is your electrical system up to the task of powering an electric pump?

electric pump is not worth the money

it flows the same amount of water as a mechanical pump

an electric pump is usefull in a drag race application to free up horse power with less accesories.

if you are looking for reliable and I would be in a trail truck stay with a stock type cast iron water pump

thats pretty much what I was thinking about the electric pumps and no I'd say the electrical system is pretty tasked already since it does run at idle 99% of the time on a 10 hour trail ride.

Yeah the radiator, cheap electric fan from a 90's model chevy car, and stock water pump make the truck run at < 160 degrees on the trail. People have always asked me if I had to upgrade the water pump and I was curious if maybe I should. I guess you don't need it especially once the system is pressurized by heat it must flow pretty easily.

Evan