Is My AC Broke?

Wease

OK, the obvious is that the AC in my '86 GT does not work. No cold air at all. However, I had it on today and noticed that the compressor comes on in spurts. The car is running, the AC is on, and the compressor will come on for like a second, then go off. That's not right, is it? :confused: I have no idea if anything else works properly. I'm guessing that it should come on and stay on when the AC is set to be on, so could it be the clutch on the compressor? Without taking it somewhere and them charging me an arm and a leg, is there any test I can do to see what else might be broken? I won't pay a lot to fix it, I'd rather take it off than spend a ton to have to work, but I am curious what is up with it... ;)

OK, on that note, I actually did try to recharge it. I would come on, suck some of the refriderant in, then go off. Then do it again. I finally gave up, thinking the thing was hosed. So you think if I could get it to take an entire can of the stuff, it might be OK?

if you need too temporarily hot wire the compressor so you can get freon in it. it should have a two prong plug in the top or side behind the clutch figure out wich one is the power and jumper it to the battery the clutch will lock up and stay engaed untill you unhook the jumper or you get enough in to make the pressure switch work properly

Excellent idea, thanks. graemlins/thumb.gif Being an '86 with only 91K miles, I hope it is only out of coolant (I bought one of those retro kits) and filling it up will fix the problem. If not and it's broke some other way, I'm yanking it all out of there... ;)

So if it's a slow leak, it will probably still work OK? If it leaks like a mother somewhere else, it might a be a problem. Regardless, the recharge kit only cost me $30, so I'm only out that if it still doesn't work... smile.gif

if its a slow leak you may have to top it off once in awhile thats most likely what it is. if its a bad leak you'll know fast. the other thing you can do is turn the can upside down and put liquid in it says not to on the can but sometimes thats the only way to get a low system to charge yo umight try that first befor you hot wire the compressor

I actually did turn the can upside down, and when the compressor finally did fire, it sucked some of the shit in there, etc.. I finally gave up, because I figured something was wrong and it was broke. However, I will try to hotwire the thing next, get a whole can in there and then see if it works... smile.gif

If its low enough that it will not come on it'll take at least 2 cans, but yes like everyone else said the compressor is just cycling so you'll have to hot wire the clutch or unplug the low pressure switch and put a jumper in the connector.

Evan

Well, I have no idea how the hell this happened, but it seems some of the plastic from the connector literally melted into the fitting. :confused: I tried getting it out via small screwdriver, but I can't get it all out. I have no idea how the hell that happened... :(

a plastic connector on A/C my charging hose is made out of brass. you can buy a change over fitting individually from the autoparts store if thats what is messed up if your going to be at mcir this friday bring a good fitting and a couple more cans of refrigerant and I'll help you charge it. won't take but 10 minutes can do it while waiting in line to race