Automatic trannies

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

what is the best automatic for an '86 T/A

i was thinking of putting in a 350 turbo that way i can rebuild one from a junkyard (i am studying this stuff, so dont tell me not to) to keep costs down, or what about converting to a 5 speed aftermarket manual, or is there too much work involved in that

my computer knows its an automatic, and id really like to confuse it

If you are trying to stay cheap, ignore me when I tell you to get a T56 6 speed from an LT1 car tongue.gif

Seriously though, a T56 would be your best bet, but from what I hear, it would run you about a grand to pick one up. Keeping that in mind...

The one and ONLY thing an auto is good for is drag racing. Even then, if you are truly a good driver, you can make the difference null with a good 4 speed. If you don't care about banging off 10 second or faster passes on the strip, GET A MANUAL. Trust me. They will handle far more abuse than an auto, and they are more fun to drive.

If you do decide to go auto, the 700R4 really is a good auto tranny for a car that's all stock. Mad Malibu just swapped out his turbo 350 for a *built* 700r4 due to his low rear end gears, and his wanting to drive it on the street. It just wasn't possible to cruise above 55 in it with the TH350. However, with reasonable rear end gears, a TH350 can be a good cruising tranny, just realize that your gas milage will suffer due to the lack of overdrive. It is the strongest auto than you can get, short of the newer electronically controlled ones. Malibu Stacey can tell you what all is required to swap the autos, I know that he had to use a different driveshaft, and he ran into other problems. Auto's are a nightmare.

Having said that...

Get a T5. It is a 5 speed manual that can be found in junkyards with 3rd gen f-bodies. Depending on the year, they came only with certain packages. I know that towards the end of the 80's, you could not get them with the 350 motor, only the 305 RS. I don't know shit about the V6 cars. You may have to search for a while to find a manual car.

In order to due the swap, you will need to get the driveshaft from the donor car, along with the pedals, and possibly the center console. If it's a hydraulic clutch (i'm unsure of this), you will need to get the clutch master cylender, slave cylender, and the line between. Make sure you get the bellhousing too, with the tranny. If it is a manual clutch (no hydraulics), just be sure to get all of the linkages.

Good luck.

Guest FBody Addict

thanks juggalo.

ok, i have chewed up one 700R4, but it went out about 2 months after i got the car at ~87000 miles, so my best bet would be to build a 700R4 with high performance bands and gears from the jegs catalogue?

what about a shift kit or whatever theyre called?

the six speed won't fit in a third gen without some sledgehameer work on the tunnel

the 5 speed that does fit is anemic and you can't use one from a mustang becuase you need the torque arm bracket and its cast into the case

if your going to build up the auto use the 700 get raybestos clutches and steels corvette servos so it won't kick down out of overdrive at wot a good b&m shift kit and a lockup control so the converter only locks up in overdrive

or for about the same money you can get one already done from B&M don't skimp on the drivetrain its the weakestlink in the car

Guest FBody Addict

i been looking at a shift kit, and i was looking at a thing that keeps it in overdrive while cruising, will keeping it in overdrive improve gas milage, since third gear is a 1:1 ratio and od is .70?

no, i dont wanna do any body mods with a sledge, but for a dual exhaust i will have to or i need to be creative

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3474&prmenbr=361

would this work for my car, it says it wont but its the same tranny as an astro van

what would be the best product to use for keeping the torque converter from locking, or could i put in some type of on/off switch

[ 04. August 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: wickedpyroclown ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kahamri
Originally posted by copperhead:

I don't know shit about the V6 cars.

Good luck.

V6's are a 60degree and the v8's are a 90degree, theyu wont bolt up to each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3.8 good motors, but dont forget about the having leaky lower intakes, or the fact that in the mid 90's they ran an egr pipe through a plastic manifold with no clearance on the edges to dissapate heat and melted the piss outta it causing many hyrolocked motors....