1995 Hyundai Elantra...

T Rex

A guy came through the drivethrough today and what smelled like to me, he was running rich. Right after the guy left a woman I work with came up to me and said, thats exactly what my car smells like, the smell is worse when its hot outside, however, when the car warms up it tends to not be so bad.

Thinking about it more, it smelled like a sulfur smell. My next thought was that it could be her cat. However, her car doesn't stall.

She wants me to see what I can do, since she already paid (yes she showed me a receipt) 1000 dollars for a brake job at Tuffy. Im gonna pull a spark plug first to see if she is running rich after that I might see how much a cat. costs.

Im just making sure that Im giving her the correct diagnosis. I've never had a cat. clog up on me and stink really bad, so I can't say from first hand exp.

well, i'm really not sorry about the brake job at tuffy, depending on what all was done it's pretty easy to rack up a grand. Remember that she got professional installation, and warranty on parts and labor. And there was probally additional labor due to the fact that hyundai designed that car poorly, meaning that the rotors had to be removed using a slide hammer. (BIG PAIN IN THE ASS). As far as the exhaust system it very well could be the cat, see when the last time she had a tune-up was, she could be in need of some plugs and wires. if the ignition system is not functioning at peak efficiency it may not be completely burning all of the fuel, therefore it is entering the converter and being burned off there, causing the rotten egg smell, it could also be the gasoline that is being used in the car. sometimes inferior fuel can cause that also.