MKI MR2 question

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest jpurdy2003

On a first-gen Toyota MR2, how hard and expensive is it to replace the sending unit for the fuel guage. About how many hours of labor is it? Where is the fuel tank? Where can I find the part? How expensive will the part be?

I'm asking because I have the chance to get an incredible deal on a first-gen MR2 that needs only this part.

The fule tank is behind and down from the cabin and in front of the engine. The fule pump is on the passenger side and the fule sender gauge is on the driver side on top of the tank. You will see a bigger plate for the fule pump. You will need to drop the tank to do this. There's not much space there.

You might have to get the part from toyota. You can call any dealer and get a price. You might be able to get them from advance or napa. I haven't needed this before so I'm not sure if any place other then toyota would carry them. You will also need gaskets and such because you will want to replace them if you drop the tank.

If that car has a low fuel warning light, and it works, then you shouldn't need to be in a hurry to get it done.

I guess how hard and expensive depends on your mechanical skills and the depth of your wallet.