upgraded twin turbos or single turbo

Guest DanTheMan212000

Guest DanTheMan212000

I have been debating on if I want to get the bnr stage 3 twin turbos from rx7store or to get a single turbo. I don't really want to loose my low end power which is where I am stuck. I would rather beat someone off the line than say from a 40-50 roll. I do however have 4:30 gears which do help out. Right now I have a non-sequential conversion and like the feel of the twins. When I bought the rx7, the owner said it used to have a t78 in it, but they took it out and went with the twins. I was wondering what the reason was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What kind of RWHP are you looking to make?

Call us at the RX7Store (if you can) and we can help you out making an educated decision.

Also, I currently run ported & polished non-sequential housings with STOCK turbo cassettes and putting down around 400RWHP @ 15psi (11.83 @ 116).

The RX-7 can never "loose"! ;)

Guest DanTheMan212000
currently, my car is making 345RWHP @15psi as is. It has a non-sequential conversion, is ported, not sure about it being polished. It runs very rich and has 3mm apex seals. I just purchased a twin power ignition, full 3in exuast getting rid of the cat, aluminum eccentric shaft pulley, hks RS intake, apexi super afc, etc. How much does that sound like it would make my car? I drove it once on leave and seemed very impressive. Haven't taken it to the max yet. Also, how long do apex seals normally last?

Guest Midnight Blue
You must determine what lbs/min you want to flow. My suggestion is going single turbo, GTxxR ball bearing turbo. There is a huge world of difference when you go from non BB to BB turbo. You should also consider an standalone engine management system to bring everything together and to minimize damage due to poor tuning, thus prolonging your apex seals.

Guest GReddy69rx7
I have always been a fan of twins. I know I saw a twin t-28 kit on the RX-7 Store website (rx7store.net)a while ago, and it looked pretty tight. Otherwise I think that as far as reliablity and power is concerned, I've almost always seen single trubos like T-66's, 72's, and 78's not do too bad. my personal preference would be a twin kit, but I have no problem with a single trubo either because you can beat down almost anything with a well-built 7!

first of all, spool is 'over-rated'...i run a T51 and i really can't complain about the spool time anymore, it is right about in line with a T78 or equiv...the only real drawback is that the power doesn't come on very linear, it's pretty wimpy, then you just get a swift kick in the pants.

if you plan on running the car in Auto-X, then by all means you'll want a small single or twin setup...if it's going to be a daily driver and you forsee lots of highway pulls, then i wouldn't hesitate for a decent sized single.

i thought about doing a set of large twins, the biggest drawback for me was that if something were to happen, you typically have to have 2 turbos rebuilt instead of just one.