99 Protege Problems!

Nate1647545505

Ok,

My girlfriend's roommate has a 99 protégé with about 45k on the clock. I guess it was intermittently stalling whenever it was stopped. Driving around was fine, but when you let off the gas and stop at say, a red light, the car would sputter and die. It feels better when the car reaches operating temp.

It went to firestone where they replaced some filters, no good. It then went to a Ford dealer and they replaced the IAC (so she says?) and it was 600$?!?

Anywho..the SES light goes on, but then goes off after you restart it. I’m thinking of driving it to AutoZone and seeing if the car will stall out so I can nab the code.

I'll be traveling through the artic south to check it out for her.

Dave suggested a coolant temp sensor, which makes sense.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Idle Air Controller should't cost that much. If that was the case it'd be cheaper replacing the whole throttle body. I'd check Coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, throttle position sensor, MAF, vaccume leaks and maybe the ecu.

Having the engine code read is probably going to be your best bet.

Bulletins for 1999 Mazda Protege ES L4-1839cc 1.8L DOHC MFI

Emissions Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. 0702F JUL 02 Recall - Ignition Coil Replacement for Driveability/MIL

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

6. 0101403 MAY 03 Engine - Rough Idle/MIL ON/DTC's P0171/P0301-P0304

Yeah, recalls will be paid by dealership. Double check with Mazda corperate customer service to make sure that the said recalls are in effect.

They will do the recalls for free even if there is no problems with your car. It's just that if you want to find out the problem after the recalls items are replaced they will charge you a diagnostics fee. So you need to say "I need _____ recall done" NOT "I need to find out what this problem is".

If that doesn't fix your problems then at least you've eliminated some posibilities.