Batteries

Total Sign

My current battery is starting to show some age, especially in the cold weather.

I am looking at either a cranking Optima or deep cycle Optima.

Now, I know I currently have a cranking battery, would I be fine with a deep cycle? Would be better off with a bigger stereo right?

Deka has a AGM(absorbed glass mat)batery called the Intimidator. I just bought one for my car, its alot better than the optima.Deka rates the cca on that battery at 0deg. optima rates theirs at 32deg. so keep that in mind when looking at specs. it also has a 120min. reserve.

ugh i hate dekas, used to see so many come back at advance.

ANY battery that is not a deep-cycle will die if drained. Yes, people can get lucky, but no standard car battery is designed to be completely drained and recharged. If it is drained, trickle charge it to help the life, but even then it may already be dead.

And yes, leaving your car sitting for 3 weeks, you will come back to a almost drained if not dead car battery. Especially depending on the type of car and options, a lot of stuff is still draining power when the battery is hooked up, its best to unhook the battery from the car if its going to be sitting for an extended period, or hook it up to a battery tender.

I had a used red top, lasted me about 6 months in the impulse, and that car sat a lot which is not good for a battery. Before that I had a used yellow top that was found sitting outside in the middle of winter, and lasted me about a year, i wouldnt say they're too bad.

I don't know why you guys are saying that the Optima sux after leaving it... my camaro only gets started every few months and it has an Optima... I haven't taken it out of the car or anything and it starts with no problem every time.. (of course I now just jinxed myself)

Originally posted by Shitaro:

I don't know why you guys are saying that the Optima sux after leaving it... my camaro only gets started every few months and it has an Optima... I haven't taken it out of the car or anything and it starts with no problem every time.. (of course I now just jinxed myself)

I have never ever had a problem with them. Plus I have a bunch on the shelf not being used.

Originally posted by Shitaro:

i'm saying mine sucks, because i left it unhooked in the battery tray,on cardboard, in a heated garage for a couple months. and it died.the manufacturers recomended trickle charge would not revive it, and everyone i know personally that has had one has had similiar experiences. thats why. if yours is good, then cool,but 100% of the first hand experiences i've had have left me a little bitter.

Originally posted by O.G.:

I used an optima in my buick for about 2 months. just the strain of cranking over the motor killed it. I went back to a standard 1000 cca lead acid battery and havn't had a problem scince.

Ding ding ding.

8 year-old Atlas (Old BP/Sohio brand) 1100cca battery here. My S-10 only fires once or twice a winter. No problems in 8 winters... with the electric fuel pumps and electric fans all running.