Built Motor Question

staywide8

I recently had my motor built with forged internals and was getting ready to get it installed. My question was that when I got it build I got the block o-ringed and had a custom copper gasket installed. Its on a 98 dohc neon. I seem to be hearing a lot of bad things about the copper gasket though. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me. Any help is appreciated. Just wanted to make sure I didnt fuck anything up.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by staywide8:

I recently had my motor built with forged internals and was getting ready to get it installed. My question was that when I got it build I got the block o-ringed and had a custom copper gasket installed. Its on a 98 dohc neon. I seem to be hearing a lot of bad things about the copper gasket though. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me. Any help is appreciated. Just wanted to make sure I didnt fuck anything up.

its about time you got that thing built up.

Copper head gaskets are one of those things that work awesome when they are installed to the T, and the worst things on the planet if they arent.

As long as its installed properly, and to spec... you should have absolutly no problems with it.

A lot of the failures that happen with CHG's is that people dont check the quench distance. Whats happening is at high rpm, the pistons are kissing the head and the engines are blowing themselves to bits. Just be sure that the gasket is the same thickness or thicker than the factory gasket when torqued down.