440 TQ / 447 HP WRX STI

Guest ttamn92

Guest ttamn92

I thought I'd post a few numbers from one of our local customers. He has an 04 STi with boltons only and has been very pleased with the torque and power he is achieving at the wheels. The motor is tested extensively for signs of mechanical failure but we have found none yet. We've performed quite a few checks on plugs, compression tests, etc. and the car is running strong. It has had the mods for about 4~6 months now and still running great. He's had it to the track but is a self admitted poor drag racer. He's almost into the 11's now. smile.gif One setback he had with this power was bending the rear endlinks from launching so hard.

Anyways, the mods are as follows. Tuning was all done in house on our Dynapack AWD dyno. These numbers are his best so far, but we are having him in on this weekend to dyno again (for free) because his boost was wavering badly. I believe he had a specific variable setup wrong on his boost controller. It is veryh likely he will achieve more torque; the whp may stay the same:

TXS UTEC with Remote Map Selector

TXS Full Turboback

GTS Exhaust Manifold and Uppipe with Jet Hot 2000

Walbro GSS342

Ultimate Racing Fuel Rails and 780 cc Injectors

TXS Front Mount

TXS Short Ram Intake

Quantum Racing Race TGV System

AVO 500 HP Turbo

1 Step Colder Plugs

Kartboy Shifter

The car right now has a completely stock longblock and clutch. He likes to slip the car a lot between gears (when not using the two step) and we can tell the clutch is about ready to go, but it is amazing that it has held up so far.

He is about ready to install a swirlpot, Aeromotive external pump, Aeromotive inline fuel filter, twin plate clutch and a few other things in anticipation of the built motor, ported heads and more boost. We've warned him about the strength limits of stock internals but he has opted to push it pretty far to find out for everyone what the car can handle with careful tuning and modifications. The car achieves peak torque at 4500 rpm and peak horsepower is at 6200 rpm. As I said, the numbers may raise this weekend when we take a look at his boost controller.

We'd been warned by a few shops that the valves may start lifting off the seats with much over 20 psi and cause misfiring, etc. We made this comment know to the customer but he felt he'd give it a go anyways. smile.gif We did encounter misfiring a little bit farther up in boost (21 or so) and thought we'd hit the brick wall but with some fresh plugs (and replacing a coil) the power came back and pulled cleanly. He later raised the boost again. Note that he is currently at 23.5 psi on CAM2 110 octane leaded gasoline for the 440 TQ / 447 HP runs. Please note that he runs the car all the time; it isn't a "three pulls and it pops" motor or something that he doesn't do very often. More often than not, he runs CAM2 in the car for his daily driving. He also has a Shell 93 pump gas map at his fingertips with the Remote Map Selector, but the CAM2 is like crack. smile.gif

On a side note, the Subaru's really gain time by using the two-step between shifts; especially at this level. I've had WRX's pick up 0.4+ seconds with a big turbo. He has seen similar results with the AVO500 on his car.

Anyways, I hope some info has been helpful. I'd be glad to answer questions. I thought mods might want this in Proven Power Bragging or something of that nature but I've shared the info for technical reasons as to what we've been able to achieve with the STi. We have another STi about ready to hit the streets with a fully built Axis Power Racing motor and clutch/flywheel on top of this (and some other stuff). He should be grabbing a Hydra when they release as well.

Watch our site for pics of this and other cars and their dyno sheets, etc.

Thanks for viewing,

Bryon

www.Quantum-Racing.com

Home of the Dynapack Dyno

I have ridden in that car and he stopped in my work Friday and showed me the dyno sheets on the website.When I cam back from the ride, guys that work for me were like,can it take you Mustang?I said I am going to need slicks and some more spray to run with that.I was impressed and he drives it all the time.New tech stuff is awesome.I remember when racers would pull off the EFI and put a carb on so they could go fast.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ttamn92

"who does your STI porting?"

It was BJ's cyl.heads in Talsa OK.But now we are using M&M head service for most of the subaru heads.

"not a bad way to spend ten grand."

HA HA!!

More like $8000 but close(he will be there soon ;) )

"I have ridden in that car and he stopped in my work Friday and showed me the dyno sheets on the website.When I cam back from the ride, guys that work for me were like,can it take you Mustang?I said I am going to need slicks and some more spray to run with that.I was impressed and he drives it all the time.New tech stuff is awesome.I remember when racers would pull off the EFI and put a carb on so they could go fast. "

Ya, Its kinda quick :D

Bryon

www.Quantum-Racing.com

you guys are sick. Hey do you guys do collision work for WRX's? The bumper you painted for my wife's wagon(silver) got into a scuffel with the concrete wall on 315 on Monday along with the fenders, engine, and hood. Like what happened to Earnhart onlt at 35 MPH. Both airbags are gone also.