Gas out this sumbetch!!!

Putty

Ok, I just did a huge research paper and presentation on the pros/cons to hybrid cars and why they are NOT worth all the hype. Honestly, I'm not sure why people buy them. If you'd like some more info or to see my research you're welcome too, but basically it boils down to this.

I used the civics as a direct comparision because they had the EXACT same models in both hybrid and gas forms. The gasoline civic starts at around $8k CHEAPER for the inital purchase compared to the hybrid model, of course add $900-$1000 the the price for an auto but still. The hybrid models get an average of 50mpg combined, while the gas models get a combined mpg of 35, seems like a big difference right? Well it isn't once you crunch some numbers.

For that $8000 you saved by buying the cheaper but identical gas model you would essentialy be able to travel 94,000 miles on the car completely free....$8000/$3 per gallon of gas =2667 gallons of gas * 35mpg average = just under 94,000miles.

Does that make sense? The actual cost difference with taxes and whatnot is over $8k,but I used that since its a nice round number.

Do you plan to keep the car longer than 95k miles, remember, the average consumer drives 15k miles per year, so for you to drive 95k miles on the civic it'd be OVER 6 years of ownership, who the hell owns there cars 6+years, not I, I get bored and there's tons of new ones out.

Lastly, like stated above, the hybrid models require a battery change at 30k intervals, and are dealer only and aren't cheap. Also, all your service would have to be done at the dealership because normal shops would not be able to diagnose problems on the hybrid w/out the up to date technology and therefore servicing would be more expensve.

Overall, its not worth it. Purchase the car if you want but PLEASE do some research before you throw the money down and figure it out for yourself.

We all know how reliable a normal civic is, it should run forever, but can the same thing be said about its hybrid substitute?

/ramble

lol, I told you I literally JUST presented all the facts and info yesterday on this subject.

Ok, I just did a huge research paper and presentation on the pros/cons to hybrid cars and why they are NOT worth all the hype. Honestly, I'm not sure why people buy them. If you'd like some more info or to see my research you're welcome too, but basically it boils down to this.

I used the civics as a direct comparision because they had the EXACT same models in both hybrid and gas forms. The gasoline civic starts at around $8k CHEAPER for the inital purchase compared to the hybrid model, of course add $900-$1000 the the price for an auto but still. The hybrid models get an average of 50mpg combined, while the gas models get a combined mpg of 35, seems like a big difference right? Well it isn't once you crunch some numbers.

For that $8000 you saved by buying the cheaper but identical gas model you would essentialy be able to travel 94,000 miles on the car completely free....$8000/$3 per gallon of gas =2667 gallons of gas * 35mpg average = just under 94,000miles.

Does that make sense? The actual cost difference with taxes and whatnot is over $8k,but I used that since its a nice round number.

Do you plan to keep the car longer than 95k miles, remember, the average consumer drives 15k miles per year, so for you to drive 95k miles on the civic it'd be OVER 6 years of ownership, who the hell owns there cars 6+years, not I, I get bored and there's tons of new ones out.

Lastly, like stated above, the hybrid models require a battery change at 30k intervals, and are dealer only and aren't cheap. Also, all your service would have to be done at the dealership because normal shops would not be able to diagnose problems on the hybrid w/out the up to date technology and therefore servicing would be more expensve.

Overall, its not worth it. Purchase the car if you want but PLEASE do some research before you throw the money down and figure it out for yourself.

We all know how reliable a normal civic is, it should run forever, but can the same thing be said about its hybrid substitute?

/ramble

lol, I told you I literally JUST presented all the facts and info yesterday on this subject.

Wow. You must have done this research last year or something. Here's what I've got. All of the info comes from www.honda.com and www.fueleconomy.gov, the EPA's fuel mileage website.

2007 Honda Civic

$22,000 EX with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System

EPA MPG = 30 city / 40 highway

Users Getting = 19 - 42 MPG, AVG is 29.1

5-year Maintenance & Repair Costs = $2,011

Basic Warranty = 36 mo/36k mile

Powertrain Warranty = 60 mo/60k mile

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid

$25,000 with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System

EPA MPG = 49 city / 51 highway

Users Getting = 35 - 54 MPG, AVG is 43.2

5-year Maintenance & Repair Costs = $2,056

Warranty = 36 mo/36k mile

Powertrain Warranty = 60 mo/60k mile

Battery Warranty = 8 mo/80k mile

Sooo..... time for the math.

$3,000 difference between the two cars, equally loaded.

$3,000 divided by $3.00 per gallon of gasoline equals 1,000 gallons.

1,000 gallons in the Hybrid equals 43,200 miles.

1,000 gallons in the regular Civic equals 29,100 miles.

So ladies and gents, once you pass 29,100 miles, you're saving money in the Hybrid. This doesn't even account for the $2100 tax credit from the IRS at the end of the year for buying a green vehicle. Plus, this is strictly money. The environmental impacts are even greater.

The Civic Hybrid is an "Advanced Technology Partial-Zero Emission Vehicle.

The Civic Hybrid gets an Air Pollution Score of 9, while the regular Civic is at 6.

The Civic Hybrid has 3.7 tons of Greenhouse Gas Emissions per 15k miles, and the regular Civic has 5.5 tons.

Here's the side by side comparison from the EPA's website:

www.ohioriders.net/civicvshybrid.pdf

i think i will stick to my 12-15 mpg $65-$70 dollar fill ups until i figure out a way to strap a 40ft ladder on my bike to take to my jobs. until then i don't think that i have a choice with these gas price rapings i take

Global Warming and Greenhouse effect is a multi-billion dollar hoax. Uncountable number of jobs depend on it, so ofcourse they don't want to listen to the thousands of Scientists proving it wrong with strong data. When they sample some of the Anartic Ice, there isn't even signs of CO2 in it. The planet has no set pattern to warming. Hell we had a cooling problem back in the day. Hundreds of years ago it was warmer, then gets cooler, then pretty stable, then warmer. Buying into any Global Warming crap is just that....CRAP. I did a huge research paper on it before. If I can find the GREAT GLOBAL WARMING SWINDLE video I'll post it for you to watch. 1hr 13mins I think. It's a long one. :D

AFAIK they did away with the tax incentives for 07....might want to double check that...

Nope, it's still going on.

http://www.irs.gov/

They're giving the tax credit until 60k cars from each manufacturer are sold. Specifically, the 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid is still listed, and with a $2100 credit.