fwd vs awd

Guest nixon

Originally posted by large_x7:

Actually, I would argue the point the other way. Most "professional" drivers will launch the car much harder than any joe schmoe you run into on the street. Why? Because the "professional" drivers don't usually own the car (it get's lent to magazines by the car companies), so they don't care if it gets broken. Nearly every review I've read of a WRX says that they revved the car up to 5k-6k rpm just to get the tires to spin (too much traction will bog the engine), yet very few people I know are willing to risk their drivetrain just to be able to launch the car.

AWD has a lot of advantages, especially in winter driving. But it's main disadvantage is weight, and that means that an AWD car just won't be able to compete with a properly set up 2WD car.

Ive seen the 60 foot time in magazines on my car, then i see the 60 foor times for people who own them and take them to the track and launch them well. Big differance, this also might have to do with aftermarker clutches and other parts.

When people tell me that its soooo heavy and whatnot, i agree. But thats a disadvantage from an advantage. I have a buddy with a fully built integra with t3/t4 turbo. From a roll he owns me by a good car length or 2. From a stop i own him by a good 4-6 car lenghts. He has a major weight advantage on me, which is clearly noticeable from a roll, from a stop i have the traction advantage. so it all depends on what you want, i see a true race to be from a stop, and professional racing around a circuit, not just a straight line or a oval. That is why i like AWD so much. Highway racing is another story, 2wd wins there

In conclusion, both have advantages, it depends on what you like