GM Commercial

nurkvinny

I've seen other recent Chevrolet commercials and they were all stupid. Bunch of cars doing donuts and hockey-stops, burnouts, etc. in parking lots -- looks like GM is as dumb as "ricers".

Then the music - "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf - hey, the 60s are over, as is the retro-60s craze. Funny how they picked a tired, burned out old song that even the baby boomers are sick of. Ten years ago, the Japanese car companies were using Led Zeppelin, etc. in their commercials; Now GM is. It seems they are playing catch-up in even their advertising. :rolleyes: Well, maybe the mullet people driving '86 Monte Carlos in Akron will notice. ...

Hey, so what ever happened to that ugly, overweight retro truck-like thing? Seems to have disappeared from all of the billboards. Lutz or no Lutz, GM is still a mess.

Originally posted by Tony K:

Then the music - "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf - hey, the 60s are over, as is the retro-60s craze. Funny how they picked a tired, burned out old song that even the baby boomers are sick of. Ten years ago, the Japanese car companies were using Led Zeppelin, etc. in their commercials; Now GM is. It seems they are playing catch-up in even their advertising. :rolleyes: Well, maybe the mullet people driving '86 Monte Carlos in Akron will notice. ...

I think GM has been using classic rock for awhile. 10 years ago they used Jimi Hendrix's "Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire" to introduce the new Camaro. I'm sure there are a few others. Whatever they use, it's better than that "Zoom zoom zoooooom" crap.

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:

Whatever they use, it's better than that "Zoom zoom zoooooom" crap.

Agreed 100%. My point was that 60s classic rock is no longer hip. Ten years ago it was. Bad choice if 'hip' is what they are trying to be. May as well have used "my baby takes the morning train" or Captain and Tenile or something. tongue.gif

I just visited the cobalt web site. Car looks like an imitation of Civic, Scion, and Hyundai. I don't think I could tell those cars apart. Once again, GM imitating. And the Miami Beach craze was yesterday. I heard that dynamically the Cobalt is much improved over the Saturn counterpart, though. Good news. smile.gif

Originally posted by Tony K:

Once again, GM imitating.

Whatever process you used to formulate this opinion is severely flawed. I'm tired of people trying to play the card in an arguement. I think it's total BS and people see what they want to see. I don't see one element on that car that is copied.

2.0L ECOTEC Supercharged Engine

The all-aluminum dual overhead cam, 2.0L ECOTEC Supercharged four-cylinder engine is built off the strengths of the original, naturally aspirated 2.2L ECOTEC engine.

The 2.0L Supercharged engine has a four-valve cylinder head, maintenance-free chain-driven camshafts, counter-rotating balance shafts and an integrated oil cooler.

The Eaton M62 supercharger spins at a low rpm, which improves durability and creates less noise while allowing for plenty of top-end power. Power delivery of the supercharged engine is instantaneous. Maximum boost of the supercharger is 12 psi.

Also included on this engine:

A direct-mount oil cooler.

Oil jets for piston cooling.

Heavy-duty pistons.

Strong connecting rods.

Forged-steel crankshaft.

Large oil sump.

Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved durability.

A high-strength aluminum cylinder head.

Interesting...GM is finally strapping forced induction into their 4V motors...

Funny thing is, they can make a 2.2 Ecotec run 9s using production (some) components with turbos...but yet they traditionally produce a car with an outdated blower, traditional GM. Accountants still have control over their cars.

Judging by the description....if they didn't intercool this version...that 205 is going to jump with a pulley swap and other bolt-ons, just like it does on the m90 blown motors. But 12 psi seems quite much for no intercooler? Anyone have anymore information on it?

These motors may become a building block for GM's sport compact market. Who knows, Seems like they did their homework and did allot better designing the motor to withstand all that hot air.

Sorry Ricochet, you may be hearing a whine and see that retarded contraption more times than you will want to :(

On a side thought, the SRT4 is still the best bang for the buck, in the I dont have allot of money but I want one that can go really fast catagory.

blower = smooth power and torque delivery. Unlike the lag that is felt with the SRT-4. It may not sound like much to you, but with anything other then drag racing (like city driving, or road course racing) the lag can and will be felt, and would impact lap times (given equal hp outputs). The latest Road & Track tested the SRT-4 vs. the Ion Red Line and they commented a few times about how they liked the smooth delivery of the s/c EcoTech, and how it helped them pull out of corners faster. However, the SRT still made up for it on the straights.

I will be looking forward to this car and anticipating GM/Dealer offered hop-up parts for them in order to combat the SRT.

Originally posted by Mallard:

Unlike the lag that is felt with the SRT-4.

No lag, No fun smile.gif

The SRT is very nimble in the corners, If the driver can manage the pedal and control the power delivery in the corners, they fly around tracks. Granted its no MSP or RSX, but for what it is, It can hold its own.

The inefficency of the roots blower would give you a heat attack....I dont care what your using it for, it creates torque in such a small range, the torque curve is depressing.

Id gladly retard timing like crazy down low to get the turbo spooled. wrc style. bia bia.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone call an SRT-4 "nimble in the corners." Road & Track even said that the Saturn was taking curves MUCH faster then the SRT, but the Neon had so much more power that it made the time up on the straights. Those are experienced drivers that know how to left foot brake and keep lag to a minimum.

EDIT: Clarify what you mean by "granted it's no MSP or RSX, but for what it is it can hold its own." Considering an SRT would have cost me ~$5k more, I think it should do better then hold its own.

[ 10. September 2004, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Mallard ]

Originally posted by Mallard:

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone call an SRT-4 "nimble in the corners." Road & Track even said that the Saturn was taking curves MUCH faster then the SRT, but the Neon had so much more power that it made the time up on the straights. Those are experienced drivers that know how to left foot brake and keep lag to a minimum.

EDIT: Clarify what you mean by "granted it's no MSP or RSX, but for what it is it can hold its own." Considering an SRT would have cost me ~$5k more, I think it should do better then hold its own.

The car was designed for two things...low cost, high speed. The first time I took one out I was disgusted with the interior, but couldn't believe that a neon could move like that.

the RSX and MSP are much more refined cars, designed for handling, reliability, and tuned for all around good performance.

I have a real good fried with an 04 that does auto cross on a regular basis, as well as 1/4 mile racing. The spring rates are just to soft in the front, after changing to some aftermarket springs, he ran street prepared and beat a whole bunch of cars, including a very well designed SER, both ran the same type tire...yet the next week hes running high 12s on 500$ worth of modifications..

Not saying the car is the best thing ever, but for the money, it really does seem to be an icon of domestic ( I guess?) performance.

P.S. I use the term nimble relative to my car...I drive a boat...sorry