Anyone familar with Methanol injection?

Boost-n-Juice

It's been around since the 30's but www.snowperformance.net is on to something with new applications from diesel truck to fox body stangs. A 50/50 mix of methanol/water is basically 120 octane.

In this months Mustang magazine with a '04 Cobra with a bigger blower etc was making 450ish and with the addition of snow kit saw a 78hp gain, with a safe 11.5/1 afr. If they didn't run out of spark, they would have seen more.

There are pros and cons. I really considered it for my car, but the fact of the matter is that the nozzle can clog or the pump can fail, and going down the track shifting at 7 grand and having the water injection system fail is the last thing I want to risk happening. Intercoolers are more expensive, but safer. I love the idea of water/meth injection, but I probably won't go that route. Heard good things about it though for you guys that are planning on trying it. Post pics when you get it installed Jason.

Originally posted by Razorback:

There are pros and cons. I really considered it for my car, but the fact of the matter is that the nozzle can clog or the pump can fail, and going down the track shifting at 7 grand and having the water injection system fail is the last thing I want to risk happening. Intercoolers are more expensive, but safer. I love the idea of water/meth injection, but I probably won't go that route. Heard good things about it though for you guys that are planning on trying it. Post pics when you get it installed Jason.

Will do. By the way these kits are illegal in the nhra and the nmra events so if you are planning on racing in those intercooler is the way to go.

Originally posted by 99blownyellowgt:

Will do. By the way these kits are illegal in the nhra and the nmra events so if you are planning on racing in those intercooler is the way to go.

Oh really? I didn't know that. I only race occasionally at Trails for fun, but thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping this car anyway so I may not do much more in the way of mods to it -- I want to sell it and pick me up a targa top C6, but prices have to fall first. smile.gif

Did you get your motor fixed?

Oh really? I didn't know that. I only race occasionally at Trails for fun, but thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping this car anyway so I may not do much more in the way of mods to it -- I want to sell it and pick me up a targa top C6, but prices have to fall first. smile.gif

Did you get your motor fixed?

Its getting there ;)

Guest mudbutt

We are a snow performance distributer. If you guys are interested, I could try to get you a decent price, if you wanted to do a quasi-group buy. Maybe 4 or so kits.

We had a basic kit on a vortech charges 94 gt. I dont remember the exact numbers, but at 10 psi the car gained 15 or so ponys with no change to the tune. Gained a good amount more by tuning for the meth. One of the magazines did a test on a fox, and I believe they gained even more than that.

Joel

Originally posted by Mud Butt:

We are a snow performance distributer. If you guys are interested, I could try to get you a decent price, if you wanted to do a quasi-group buy. Maybe 4 or so kits.

We had a basic kit on a vortech charges 94 gt. I dont remember the exact numbers, but at 10 psi the car gained 15 or so ponys with no change to the tune. Gained a good amount more by tuning for the meth. One of the magazines did a test on a fox, and I believe they gained even more than that.

Joel

I wouldn't be interested in buying at the present time, but generally speaking what do those kits go for? I wouldn't mind using one as a way to just cool the intake charge without actually tuning it and advancing timing. I don't trust it that much ;)

I do like your point about the pump failing or the nozzle clogging. But couldnt it be true about fuel pumps as well just giving out. I know the fuel pump would be as harmful cause the engine would just shut off, unlike if your relying on the meth injection for power and A/F.

Doesnt the addition of the water/alky/meth help with gas mileage? On my old Spearco water injection kit i vaguley remmeber the directions mentioning better gas mileage.