Anyone wonder how fast a stock car can go?

Guest BLACKBIRD99

jallen100:

"When you get in to the turns at abouy 150 you just get pinned in the side of the seat"

Try doing that, and having to turn both left AND right. My street car can see 150 in the S turns on 670 under high street. Cup cars = unimpressive.

Desperado:

"You know. In 69 and 70 they were running 200 MPH there"

You know, in 69 and 70, it was actualy racing, not this crap they do today. graemlins/thumb.gif

Desperado:

" There is no reason to believe that a different car, without any of the restrictions cound hit 275 safely on a superspeedway. "

A winston cup car cannot do 275, restrictor plate or not, on any oval in existence. Talledega is about as fast a track as they can get on. and making the jump from 228 mph to 275 hp would take about twice as much HP as making the jump from 180 mph to 228.

BLACKBIRD99:

"CART cars are better since they're lighter and more aerodynamic."

Yes, they are what we in the racing world call "Race Cars". As apposed to the rolling purpose built billboards that are run in NASCAwR. They are neither stock cars, nor race cars. Race car being something built for the sole purpose of being fast, the cup cars are built for the purpose of looking like something it isn't. Its a shame those motors are wasted on such a shitty car.

BLACKBIRD99:

"Go to watch a race in person, and you'll be hooked. graemlins/thumb.gif "

Didn't have that effect on me. I actualy had the opportunity to do some hotlaps at gateway. After 2 laps, I had expereinced all I cared to, got bored, and brought the car in. My 95 Tbird saw 120 there, I can have more fun on a set of onramps late at night.

F1 at indy is the only race series that I'd call addictive, as far as watching it in person. i know I'd get better race coverage on TV, andI'd save alot of money staying here..but..but, I gotta go! I went for qualifying last year, and just had to stick around for race day, bribed the gate worker $20 to let me in without a ticket, good times ;)

now why the hell cant I put more then 2 quotes in a thread without them dissapearing?

Guest BLACKBIRD99

F1 for one would give me a headache. #2 I don't really care much to watch a race series where the teammates pull over for each other so the other could win the race. And when that happens, that's about the only time there's cars changing position on the track and not while in the pits.

F1's tech is pretty amazing but not my cup of tea.