Since i'm under there......

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

i know its a tech question, but not everyone checks the tech board on a regular basis, but can i replace the oil pan gasket without pulling the engine?

i can drop the pan about 1 inch before it hits the crossmember, and i can probably slide the gasket down under the crank and mains?

the reason i am asking is i pulled the oil bearing retainer off and it ripped off the u-shaped piece of rubber from the oil pan gasket and i cant buy just that piece, like with the timing cover gasket set, where the cover to pan seal comes with the kit

yea i was thinking the pick up was going to be a pain in the ass to get around. If you have the tranny out there really isn't a whole lot of work that needs to be done to pull the motor. Then you can go and change alot of the seals and gaskets. Plus you will see things on the motor out that can be very hard to notice when it is in the car.

IMO

Guest FBody Addict

forgot about the pickup tube

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

And seriously, what is an "oil bearing retainer"?

there is a round piece that held the rear oil seal that i had to take out because i could not pry the seal out like it was supposed to

Guest FBody Addict

dave (gas, grass, or ass) said rtv was a bad idea, i bought an oil pan gasket and was gonna cut the piece out that i needed, but he said it would most definatly(sp) leak if i put it in and rtv'd it, but then i did that on the timing chain cover oil pan seal, and it aint leaking

so many opinions, so little time to decide (whatever goes in-whole thing or just the piece) its going in in the morning

Originally posted by Slow As Hell 86 T/A:

dave (gas, grass, or ass) said rtv was a bad idea, i bought an oil pan gasket and was gonna cut the piece out that i needed, but he said it would most definatly(sp) leak if i put it in and rtv'd it, but then i did that on the timing chain cover oil pan seal, and it aint leaking

so many opinions, so little time to decide (whatever goes in-whole thing or just the piece) its going in in the morning

I have RTV where my oil pan gasket broke when I pulled the timing cover... has worked fine for quite some time...

its your call I would use the gasket even if you have to cut it in half and use minor amounts of rtv to seal the two cuts up. the gasket will go on its one piece rubber you might have to fish it through the pan but is eaier to wipe the gasket off then to coniuosly fix a leak when the oil eats through the rtv