magnetic oil plug

DeathSandwich

When I still worked at the shop, I did a shitload of oil changes on cars that were equipped with factory magnetic plugs. I'd guess 1 out of 3 had significant build up of metal on the plug that was not caught in the filter. They are well worth the 4-6 bucks, IMO.

Originally posted by SpaceGhost:

Really kind of silly, I think. Isn't that stuff supposed to get caught in the filter? Plus a lot of engines are made of aluminum now and it is not magnetic......

it's not like they are made to catch pieces of your block that happen to be falling off. most bearings are tri-metal with steel in them.thats what those magnets catch.

The purpose of a magnetic drain plug is to catch the ultra-fine particles from the wear on the camshafts and lifters, and rest of the top end.

Rod and main bearings are a steel shell with a thin bronze layer and a thin lead layer. I don't think it's possible to wear through the bronze without major failure (rod knock or near-nothing oil pressure).

Originally posted by SpaceGhost:

Really kind of silly, I think. Isn't that stuff supposed to get caught in the filter? Plus a lot of engines are made of aluminum now and it is not magnetic......

You would be surprised.

Also check out Filter Mags, www.hilsingermotorsports.com