Replacing Head Gasket?

Guest SaleenSC302

Guest SaleenSC302

My parents have a 90 dodge caravan with a 2.5L turbo 4 cyl. The head gasket is blown and they're trying to figure out what to do. One place is gonna charge them 800 bucks to replace it. The car has got 130K on it but it doesn't burn oil or anything so it could probably last a while longer. Plus, they don't have the money to buy another car. I was just wondering how difficult this head gasket would be to do myself. I've replaced a head gasket on a olds 307 a while back, but I've never worked on a turbo'd car. Any ideas on how long something like this would take or what would be involved? Thanks.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Head Gaskets are 9/10 times usually an easy job. Disassembly and cleaning the block and head are probably the biggest chores. Other than that it is just remove, replace, torque to spec by manufacture’s method (very important), and reassemble. You should be able to do in a weekend with some PB Blaster to get those pesky bolts, air tools if you are lazy like me, and or some breaker bars. Most OEM held bolts are TTY, so you'll need a torque angle meter, which are like $1 @ the zone. Only other special tool that you should need is a torque wrench.

I'm pretty sure someone on here can hook you up with an Alldata print out for the procedure smile.gif

Good luck!

Nathan

Guest mudbutt
The biggest bitch on those motors is the bracket that goes from the turbo to the block, you get that off, it is smooth sailing, well kinda.

Guest SaleenSC302

Damit, I guess they already dropped it off without talking to me. They never listen to me. I know they're gonna bitch later about being broke....too bad they got impatient.

What price were you thinkin anyways?