All wheel steering.

Guest Rane

Guest Rane
Was just curious about all wheel steering. I know some 240sx's have it, and wonderd what people thought of it. And if they would go for the All wheel steering one or not.

Rane, back when I was obsessed with Silvias and the like, I never once read a positive review of AWS. Alot of companies (JWT included, I believe) sell eliminator kits for it. I think it tends to interfere with the feedback you get from the car, hence jacking up drifting and autox and such.

Guest Rane
Kool, I never checked to see if mine had it or not. Was just curious if it effected anything in 240's or any other car and was to tired to search more stuff :).

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Bananular:

Rane, back when I was obsessed with Silvias and the like, I never once read a positive review of AWS. Alot of companies (JWT included, I believe) sell eliminator kits for it. I think it tends to interfere with the feedback you get from the car, hence jacking up drifting and autox and such.

the cars in the US are called 240s and a 240 can never become a silvia. spread the word.

aws is lame and only adds weight that is not needed.

Guest lustful
Originally posted by Mouth:

The VR4's had it as well and I think the Galant VR4 had it also. I think it was only used at low speeds to aid in parallel parking n such though.

yes and no... they have it, only in the TT version for both the stealth and the 3000. however they do not engage below 35mph is my understanding. much like the active aero not until 35 mph. most guys remove it as it is extra weight

Yeah, the VR4 and Stealth TT had it, and its best used for highway maneuvering. The rear tires turn the same direction as the front, up to 1.5 degrees when past 40mph. Basically it lets you turn the direction of the car without putting rotational momentum into the car itself, hence more stable low angle turns at high speeds. Its useless for hard turns, and at low speeds it doesnt activate at all. You can feel it in the car's high speed stability, no advantages besides that though (and it costs a lot of weight :-\ ).

Anybody see that mercedes benz concept roadster (i think it was anyway) on Nova that show with the mash guy, a few days ago on OSU-TV. Anyway it had all wheel active camber that angled into the turn as the car cornered, freakin sweet!

Best thing out of the HICAS package was the factory VLSD, and even that isn't all that great. Also, it was an option only from 91-93.

BTW there was a HICAS system on older Infiniti Q45t's and J30t's as well (and Z32TT's obviously).

Originally posted by jeffmeden:

Yeah, the VR4 and Stealth TT had it, and its best used for highway maneuvering. The rear tires turn the same direction as the front, up to 1.5 degrees when past 40mph. Basically it lets you turn the direction of the car without putting rotational momentum into the car itself, hence more stable low angle turns at high speeds. Its useless for hard turns, and at low speeds it doesnt activate at all. You can feel it in the car's high speed stability, no advantages besides that though (and it costs a lot of weight :-\ ).

Anybody see that mercedes benz concept roadster (i think it was anyway) on Nova that show with the mash guy, a few days ago on OSU-TV. Anyway it had all wheel active camber that angled into the turn as the car cornered, freakin sweet!

yeah that pretty much says it...and yeah the GVR4 had it too

not sure if i liked it when i had my stealth, there was one curve i took at 100= and it started to shake but regained control

another 2 turns later when i staightened out after the curve at high speeds, the rear went out and i slid off the road.

it could have been my tires or the AWS or just my reckless driving.