Watersports

copperhead

So, yesterday at work I was bored, and started thinking of ways to make fun of rotary nazis. I then came up with an idea that actually made some sense to me. Why not put a rotary into a boat? Has it been done before?

The upsides that I came up with is:

Less weight than a piston motor in the rear. The boat should level out faster, and ride higher in the water.

Higher rev's. The boat that I grew up using had one forward gear, and I assume that most are the same. Being able to rev higher = more top end.

Power output. The boat my father had was a 140 horse 4 cylinder chevy, and after a tuneup it would do around 50 MPH. An NA rotary could easily do that.

Something that I hear is a problem with a rotary that, I think, would be solved in a boat application is cooling. Boat's suck in fresh water to cool the engine, so I would think that the engine would stay at a good temperature.

What does anyone else think about this idea?

Guest Super J
Originally posted by HIgh Risk:

Take much torque? Boats are comparable to driving with your foot on the brake.

Tru story, water gives alot more resistance then air...ever wonder why boats don't have brakes?

Guest nevarmore

It has been done. There is a 13B diesel marine engine out there. Its targeted at things like inflatables and semi-rigids IIRC.

I'm scrounging for a link now.

Guest nevarmore

Ok well the link I found via a search for the thread at RX-7 Club came up as a 404. It was from boatingnews.com and a search there turned up jack squat.

BUT AutoZone has a listing from a 1976 Mazda Cosmo as having a 13B diesel injected engine.