Dent in a truck tailgate

xxxShaftxxx

How much would it cost to repair a dent in a truck tailgate? It isn't very deep, but it's rather long. It's about 7 inches or so verticle. My girlfriend hit a mailbox in her dads truck and I know that bodyshops are going to overprice, so how much should we be looking at for repairs?

Also, is it possible to take the tailgate apart and just hammer it out?

It's a 1995 silverado.

Thanks.

No access to the inside of the gate by disassembly. It's not like a Ford gate with an access panel. Based on your description of the damage, I'd say that your estimate will be for about 2-3 hours body labor, prob. 2 hours paint labor plus materials and emblems if you choose to have them put back on. Breaks down like this:

Body ---------2.0 @ $40.00/hr = $80.00 -> $120.00

Paint ---------2.0 @ $40.00/hr = $80.00

Materials -----2.0 @ $20.00/hr = $40.00

Subtotal ------------------------$200.00 -> $220.00

Tax @ 6.75% -------------------$13.50 -> $ 14.85

Total ---------------------------$213.50 -> $254.85

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is just the labor to fix the dent. It doesn't include any time to disassemble the gate (take out the handle and bezel, straps, and latches) for paint, or labor to replace the emblems/trim. What emblems/trim is on the gate? More often than not, the emblems and such have to be replaced when removed from the vehicle. Those can run anywhere from $20 to $200 depending on whether it has the full width applique or just small decals/emblems.

Hope that helps, I work in a body shop.

What part of town are you in? We've got 4 stores all around C-bus, and if you want, I can meet you at one of them one Saturday, and put together a real sheet on it if you want. If weekdays are more convenient, I can refer you to a shop and a person to write it for you. Lemme know.

I just remembered though, the labor rates I quoted above were insurance rates, walk ins pay $42 per hour. I can point you to a discount coupon that should more than make up the diff though.

Originally posted by SCROOGE:

save yourself a bunch of cash and just go pickup a nice used talgate at the junkyard usually run about 100 bucks out the door

If you can find a nice one at the yard, this is a pretty good way to go. Problem is, the nice ones are usually picked pretty quickly.