Crank Shaft Bolt

Guest MelMacky

Guest MelMacky
Hey all, I have a 94 Honda Accord, timing belt blew and can't seem to get the crankshaft bolt off the pulley. Have tried everything. From jamming the fly wheel and starting the engine, to having a 300 lbs. dude stand on the breaker bar. Just wondering if anyone out there might have a secret tool to hold the pulley in place. It would be sooooo greatly appreciated. Thanks;)

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

A good impact gun and lots of air pressure are your friend.

Becareful using too much pressure, it will crack something. If you can sacrifice the rubber seal or even get to the crank, heat the crank up with a torch and then cool the bolt with cold water, then tighten the bolt and then back the bolt out.

jamming the flywheel and starting the engine would do nothing, if the flywheel is jammed then the motor wont spin ;)

what I would do, depending on which way the motor spin: put the breaker bar on the bolt and lay it against the ground and then tap the starter. Make sure you put its on so its loosening and not tightening ;)

oh and make sure your bolts not reverse thread, ive heard some cars are on the crank pulley, i have no idea about hondas though, i dont work on them.

-Jono

alot of times the factory installs locktight on the theads of the crank sprocket bolt and torque it down to as much as 300lbs. They also make a special tool to hold the crank pully still while you hit it with the impact or a hand breaker bar. You don't have to go out to buy the tool, shops that do alot of repairs on the same types of cars usually have a complete set of specialty tools and they will rent them out with a NICE deposit. call around someone has one somewhere and your bolt will be off in 2 mins.

if you have your tranny out... which it sounds like you might??? get a flywheel holder from napa or somewhere... hold the flywheel in the right position with a breaker bar, and then try taking that bolt out with another breaker bar and a 1/2 inch wratchet...just maybe who knows... sounds like graemlins/bsflag.gif if an impact wont work