ABS light on the Buick

Buck531

Well, does anyone have an OBD1.5 scanner? I gues the '94-'96 model years had obd 1.5. I need to get the ABS fixed on the buick so the wife doesn't slide out into the intersection when it's snowing this winter.

I talked to some peeps at Autzone but they dont' have a scanner for it.

I was under the impression that it's a WSS (Wheel speed sensor) and there's one for each wheel. If so, I'd like to scan the car to find out which one is toast so I can replace it, unless someone else has a better idea.

THanks.

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

The code should tell you which wheel speed sensor failed. Remember though not likely, a short in the wheel speed sensor wiring can cause a wheel speed sensor code.

Yep, I know that smile.gif . I Just need to find someone with an actual scanner that will be able to tell me that.

and Alex.. no . smile.gif

It is most likely a wheel speed sensor, and you can check each sensor with just a multimeter. They have a high resistance when they go bad, which is basically the only way that the ABS ECU knows that they are bad in order to throw the code anyway, because it just monitors the resistance value of each sensor using an internal voltage-divider circuit.

There should be a plug on each one about a foot or so of cable away from the sensor itself. Just undo the plug, and check the resistance of the sensor with the multimeter by using the two leads in the plug. I forget off the top of my head the approximate resistance value they should be (maybe like 1000 ohms or something), I can find it later, but regardless if one is bad it will be extremely high compared to the other 3, or might show up as just being an open circuit. Just try and be gentle with them, because they are not cheap to replace in most cases, so you don't want to kill a good one and make your problems worse. I messed up one on my Z a while back, after I heard the replacement cost I got to splicing wires and just fixed it instead. :eek:

Thanks renner.. I'll have to check that and get with someone who has a multi-meeter smile.gif .

yes, we had a bad experience with a WSS :( .

We were swapping in a new cam for my buddy'z Z34 (same as my car).. in the process, we had to lower the cradle in order to do so. We had everything disconnected.. except the sensor graemlins/trout.gif . Dropped the cradle about 6 or so inches and SNAP, the wires came right off the sensor.. graemlins/doh.gif