Cherokee people help!

smokin5s

ok, my mom's Grand Cherokee Laredo was leaking coolant. it was the Lower radiator hose, but it also appears that it might be leaking out a little from the water pump. I put some stop leak in it and it cut down allot of the leaking. I did notice a power surge in the motor..... when it was at idle, the A/C compressor would start spinning for like a second or so, then stop..... (the clutch on the compressor was engaging) and then it would not spin for like 5 sec's, and then repeat itself. when it would stop spinning, the RPM's would go up for a sec. Is this normal on these SUV's? It's a '95 with the 4.0 motor.

[ 01 October 2002, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Josh Miller ]

Guest turbojc

Check your coolant temp sensor. I know this sounds weared but my moms Blaser had idle serge problems. The sencer was sending false readings to the ECU and it cept going in to cold start moad over and over agen. IT cept doing wered shit

with the defrosters and the a/c compresor.

Gm told me It all was tied to geather some how.

I could't figure out how the servious wrighter figured that, but it worked when we got it back. :confused:

I don't know if it is your problem but it's somthing to try. ;)

weird.... why would a coolant temp sensor cause the Compressor to start spinning for a sec and turn off...... the compressor has kind of a funny whine to it when it spins.... it deffinately isn't a normal spinning sound, kinda like the clutch is still semi-engaged..... anyone know where the coolant sensor is on these cars? Also, are there vapor lock valves on them?

Guest blueski02

My buddy is an up and coming mechanic, if you can't figure this out let me know and i will give him a call, just give me some specifics. He has a 98 cherokee, and he works mainly on jeeps and his alltrac turbo. always willing to help.

Mike

Originally posted by blueski02:

My buddy is an up and coming mechanic, if you can't figure this out let me know and i will give him a call, just give me some specifics. He has a 98 cherokee, and he works mainly on jeeps and his alltrac turbo. always willing to help.

Mike

If he wants to help, that's fine. I found out that it is trying to turn the A/C on even though the button isn't on. I'm going to try and pull the fuse out of the fuse box and see if that keeps the A/C from comming on then. it isn't charged, so it's trying to turn on, and turning off when it detects no freeon. The one thing that I see as a problem is it looks like the water pump might be leaking. Does anyone know where the valves are on the coolant system to make sure it doesn't get vapor locked? It appeared to be running at the right temperature, but when the car turns off, I can hear it make like a draining sound, and I'm not sure if that is supposed to do that or not.

Mike

Hey, can you ask your buddy where the vapor lock valve is on the Jeep. Most of them that I've seen is located around the water pump, but I couldn't find one.

Hey i talked to him, he said he is quite positive that since jeep switched to efi, there has never been one, that could be why you cant find it.

MIKE

Yeah, it was just LT1's that did that because they have that reverse cooling system. Thanks!