Ford 4.6L Specs?

Guest Computerguy5

Guest Computerguy5
Can someone give me the basic specs on the 4.6L V8 in the late model Thunderbirds? It seems I'll be buying another tbird this summer (its about time) but I'm looking to specific models as to which one I want (either way, I'm going to be shoving a 5 speed from a sport in there, so thats of no concern...)

What kind of specs are you looking for? Hp wise, 94-95 and 96-97 were rated at 205 at the flywheel, and put about 170 of it to the wheels through the power sucking 4R70W. 94-95 got an optional 3:08 or 3:27 rear gear, with track lock asan option. 96-97 all got 3:27, track lock was also an option. 94-95 engines are very reliable, I only know of one to have broken, out of the 800 or so that are in my other club www.tccoa.com But, also, the transmissions are not reliable, bad valve body, but you're getting a t-45, so I guess it wont mater. 96-97 had the dreaded plastic intake manifold, around 60K miles, some tend to crack the water jacket just behind alternator. Itsa reacallpart,ford will fix it for free,and havetopay for the tow. But it's a popular recal item and is on back order.

My recomendation, get a 96 sport. In 96-97 there was a sport option,it came with revalved shocks, low/tighter spring, bigger sway bars, and 4 wheel disk brakes. The standear LX got a 4 wheel disk option, but the sports front brakes are 11.5", much bigger. I recomend the 96 because of the gauges. In 97, ford got cheap, so no more full instrumentation. Any more questions, just ask. I'v been in to these cars about 3 years now, this is my 2nd.

http://www.tccoa.com/rides/pics/groeri.jpghttp://www.tccoa.com/rides/pics/buck.jpg

Guest Computerguy5
Blackbird, I just knew you'd reply... unfortunately, you know more about this tbird model than do I, but thats okay... Based on your info, it seems that I'm going to look into a 94-95 just because of price (and I'll be doing modding anyways) and I have another car I wanna mod this summer (the daytona)... Thanks...

I was thinkin that the T-birds switched over to modualar power earlier than the stangs but I wasn't sure what year they did cause the Lincoln Mark8 switched over early to a DOHC 4.6 modular power. My bad I know more bout stangs than T-birds, but I love the birds and the supercoupes own too. Too bad they never mnade an SVT birdy that could pop low 13's stock. Ford also made a blown 5.0 ranger back in 93 along with the F150 lightning and went through their PR department and the Lightning had more appeal so they made it instead of a vortec blown ranger, the ranger would've owned I'd say most cars/trucks on the street. Ohh well that's the blue oval for ya :D peace

Originally posted by Soon to ride the pony:

Too bad they never mnade an SVT birdy that could pop low 13's stock...

They did, they made three and ran a couple onthe power tour. They got a cobra DOHC with the prototype Eaton setup that exists now on the lightnig (different manifold of course). They would have gon into production in 98, if only..*sniffle sniffle* I dont wanna talk about it! tongue.gif

And, Tbirds and cougars got 5.0s in 91-93,mated to an AOD.

And Computerguy5, good idea. You can get a 94 with crazy high miles for dirt cheap, swap in a PI top end and reuse the EEC-V and most of the wiring. Actualy, if you want to get nutty, Ford now sells a '98 DOHC/T-45 combo for about $6g. The EEC-V works on the engine, not sure if the combo comes with the wiring harness though, it should. Throw some gears at it and you'll be breaking half shafts along with rl :D

just found this, read up:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm

[ 06 June 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

Guest Computerguy5
Originally posted by BlackBird:

And Computerguy5, good idea. You can get a 94 with crazy high miles for dirt cheap, swap in a PI top end and reuse the EEC-V and most of the wiring. Actualy, if you want to get nutty, Ford now sells a '98 DOHC/T-45 combo for about $6g. The EEC-V works on the engine, not sure if the combo comes with the wiring harness though, it should. Throw some gears at it and you'll be breaking half shafts along with rl :D

Sounds like fun :D Do you know where I can get some info on the DOHC/T-45 combo?

Well,i get my info from Dan 'the man' Newman, parts@fivestarford.com

TCCoA members get discounts from him, and being a member, thats who I deal with. Not only that, but he bends over backwards for ya, "the man" is well earned. You could probably find something in the 02 FRPP catalog, but i dont have that yet.

Guest Computerguy5
Originally posted by BlackBird:

You could probably find something in the 02 FRPP catalog, but i dont have that yet.

That isn't ringing a bell... What is it and where would I get it?

By the way, I found a nice '93 Tbird 302 in good shape here for $950 OBO... It needs a bit of body work (no rust, but a couple minor dings and paint chips) which I was intending on doing anyways... The price is too good to pass up, I'll probably grab it within the next week or so, supposing its still there...

[ 13 June 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Computerguy5 ]