cams for turbo

Guest ZBond007

Guest ZBond007
I am saving up as much money as i can and buying a whole bunch of stuff for my engine that i will need before buying a turbo kit. I was wondering about camshafts, i know that there are different stages, and there are cams made for turbos. If i get cams for turbos, then should i go ahead and install them since it wouldnt be that hard, or will i not notice a difference until i actually get the turbo. thanks for any input.

There are other things you can buy for your car that will be a better performance value than buying cams. Usually cams are one of the last things upgraded, sometimes along with headwork. In most cases you will not notice a performance increase with a turbo cam on a NA engine, sometimes you will lose power. This is because in NA form aftermarket cams usually have highlift and long duration, while turbo cams have higher than stock lift but shorter duration. I would buy the turbo kit, a new fuel pump, larger injectors, a fuel contoller of some sort (V-AFC or an FMU depending on whether you get an inline pump or in-tank) a custom downpipe,3" cat and 3" exhaust. SOOOO why don't you tell us your performance goals, and maybe we can guide you along to get there?

[ 06 June 2002, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: slow4now ]

Guest ZBond007

I just got the car a couple of months ago. All i have done to it is an aem cold air intake, and a greddy cat-back exhaust.

i was planning on putting new pistons, rings, cams, and rods, also planning on having it port polished. I was then going to put the turbo kit on. I plan on having this car through college and i am about to be a senior in college, so of course this would all take time as i am still paying on the car but working 2 jobs to get as much money as i can

For imports I am thinkin JUN, and crower off the top of my head makes some good cams. An H23 turbo set up is the way to go when it coems to the Honda motors. The non-VTEC 2.3 liter is one of the biggest if not the biggest, on top of it not being VTEC it shouldn't interfer with the whole VTEC switch over to the higher reving cam profile. Good luck with the mods. Peace