Problems @low RPM's

Guest njbargar

Guest njbargar

The best way to explain it is that from 1500rpm's to about 2800rpms my 93 3000GT-sl kind of bobbles trying to get up to speed. From 3000rpm's on it's fine. It started doing it in mid-Dec., needed to replace plugs anyway so I did and it stopped. But 2 weeks later it started doing it again. Have I really fouled out plugs in 2 weeks? Havent'checked all of them because the back one's are a pain, but the front 3 are fine. Any ideas?

BTW- New here, but this is a great site from what I've seen. A lot more helpful than most street forums on the web.

Guest njbargar

Newer ones are out of my price range for now, and I'm really not sure about buying a '94 or older off someday who says "Ragged on? No, it's been babied." But your right, I would love to have the VR-4.

In your profile...biking. Is that Mountain Biking?

Originally posted by n8s93-3kgtSL:

I was thinkin that too, is there anyway to check your wires before blowing money on something you may not need?

A few things you can do to check the plug wires:

Inspect the wires/boots for any arcing marks. These marks will usually be small discolored ovals.

Inspect the connections for corrosion. If there is any rust colored or white powdery build-up on the metal, replace them.

With the car running, Mist water on them from a sprayer bottle. If you see or hear any arcing, they are bad.

If you have an Ohms meter you can test the resistance of the wires. You are looking for a big difference between the resistance of the wires. Remember, the longer wires will have slightly higher resistances. You should be able to find the resistance spec range for the wires on the internet, or call a dealership.

And the easiest test of them all.....Swap them with a set of known good wires from a bud's car!

If you are replacing the wires, replace the plugs while you are at it. Just makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Mike

If you don't have meters or a spare pair of wires laying around, simply put your car in a dark garage start it with the hood up and look for any arching this is a cheap way to test for a broken wire. If your wires are old enough that you doubt them replace them.

Don't buy cheap wires. I'm sure the factories use NGK, and that's all I would use. NGK's > All.

EDIT: I forgot to ask what kind of plugs are you using? Again, only use NGK's (or whatever else the factory uses). Many imports will not run well on anything but. BTW Bosch Platinum Fours are the worse plugs you can possibly use. Just a little FYI.

[ 26. January 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: bigbabyjesus ]

Guest njbargar
The wires are just factory (not original ones), and the plugs I used last time were the NKG later platinum. I'll see what I can find out about the plugs tomarrow and we have a meter so I'll try that. As for a set of working wires, well, anybody that has a 3kgt or stealth, feel free to stop on by, lol.

Guest njbargar
Might have inadvertantly fixed the problem. I was checking the wires and couldn't find anything wrong with them (didn't use meter, roomate has it at work). Anyways, I got frustrated with it and decided to make a bracket for my MAS air flow box. I have a Blitz SUS filter and I removed the resonator bottle. Since then, my entire intake has hung low cause there was nothing to hold it up. So I half-assed mounted it and it took the "dip" out of the intake hose. Started the car when I was done and it was purring like a kitten. I took it out and it didn't bobble at all. Could the intake hose being pinched a little have caused the bobble at low rpms?