Wheel Bearing?

Guest Incognegro4214

Guest Incognegro4214
I have a Jetta VR6 and just recently my front driver's wheel has been making a vibrating noise. My guess would be wheel bearing but not positive. Between 40-60 mph the tire sounds like a four wheeler's tire on pavement. Any ideas?

With an flat open hand, rub along the entire width of the tread to see if there are any high spots (tires feathered or cupped). Pay particular attention to the inner edges, nearest the strut, of the tread. If the alignment is off and some uneven wear has been caused, you will hear it at higher speeds.

If the tread is ok on the tire, turn your steering wheel until it locks. Jack the car up in the air until the tire is off of the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to push/pull in opposite directions with each hand. If the wheels moves or makes a popping noise, the bearing may be failing. Try the same thing grabing the right and left side of the tire.

If you have access to a lift, you can put the car in the air with a driver in it and listen for the noise while he takes it to 40+ mph, although it may only happen with the weight of the car on the bearing or suspension. Also check by grabbing the tires like above and look for play.

Mike