O2 Sensor...

T Rex

Like I said in the Garage Sale section, I want to get a custom exhaust done and gut the cat. Im pretty sure this will trigger a CEL. From what I've heard there is a way to trick the O2 sensor into thinking everything is okay, something about closed loop. The ECU is pretty standard OBD-II :( . Anyway, any suggestions?

Ive done some research on the car and placement with the o2 sensors. I *looks* like If I keep 2nd o2 sensor after the primary cat and get ride of the secondary I should be fine. Anybody have any other thoughts?

You have to keep both o2 sensors, and they both have to be reading properly. As already stated the best way to do that is either resistors soldered in line, or a simulator. If you are missing an O2, you will have a CEL. If you use both O2's unmoddified, even if the secondary is after the cat you WILL get a CEL becuase the second o2 is reading the effectivness if the cat. If it reads out of range (this case too rich) that triggers a CEL for a bad catalytic converter, or secondary O2 voltage too high/low.

my bad, I think I said that wrong. I am keeping both o2 sensors. Im getting rid of the secondary cat. and keeping the primary. I was told that if I kept the primary cat. and made sure that the 2nd o2 sensor was behind that it would be okay.

Originally posted by trexpro5:

my bad, I think I said that wrong. I am keeping both o2 sensors. Im getting rid of the secondary cat. and keeping the primary. I was told that if I kept the primary cat. and made sure that the 2nd o2 sensor was behind that it would be okay.

No. The second O2 will be reading out of the ranged\ that the ECU says is okay for it to run in, and therefore will trigger a DTC (CEL). Unless you do what was previously mentioned you will get a CEL. It doesn't matter what combintation of cats and O2 sensors you use.